Any Truth to Alternating Gasoline Brands to Avoid Carbon/Gunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different fuel detergents clean different components in different ways/degrees of cleaning. So I understand the concept of switching fuel brands occasionally to get the benefits of different detergent packages. But as long as you are keeping up with the basic maintenance required for your vehicle, this isn't something we need to worry about. I can't remember the last time someone said they got "a bad tank of gas" or experienced a driveability issue that was proven to be caused by the fuel.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
Originally Posted by Davejam
7MPG difference? That's absurd.
No just the truth, average mileage dropped from 35 to 28.

This had nothing to do with gasoline. After 12 years here I am sure you should have learned this

Not sure how much impact it has but there are different types of fuel additives stations use. Some are PEA based. Others use different agents. I think one is PEB. I know some of them can leave films behind and that other additives can wash away the films. If you use a gas with an additive that leaves something behind, seems plausible it could cause buildup over time and that rotating to a different additive to clean that off makes sense.

IDK. When it comes to fuel, and stuff I don't trust gas stations when they say they have fuel additives in the gas I don't trust them. I usually just by Fuel additives if I need them. I I do believe that some gases are cleaner than others though.

1992 Pontiac Bonneville 10W30
1992 Toyota Celica 5W30

Originally Posted by Bonnelvr92
IDK. When it comes to fuel, and stuff I don't trust gas stations when they say they have fuel additives in the gas I don't trust them. I usually just by Fuel additives if I need them..

Why would you believe what the fuel additive companies say?

I wouldn't do that because I know it is not that much of a big deal. I would recommend if you want to avoid carbon build up though ro get superior motoring benefits from the dollar tree. If you do not have a dollar tree near you you can go to your local gas station and get some fuel additives there. I would recommend superior motoring benefits though just because they work and you can get them for only a dollar.

Originally Posted by Bonnelvr92
I wouldn't do that because I know it is not that much of a big deal. I would recommend if you want to avoid carbon build up though ro get superior motoring benefits from the dollar tree. If you do not have a dollar tree near you you can go to your local gas station and get some fuel additives there. I would recommend superior motoring benefits though just because they work and you can get them for only a dollar.

That stuff is not exactly using the latest breakthroughs in technology for additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back