Any trade-offs Using Rotella T in a Gas Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi LaszloToth, yes, Rotella products exceed gasoline engine manufacturers limitations on Phosphorus, which degrades the catalytic converter. Hope this helps! - The Rotella Team

I don't run cats because turbo. So good to know.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

It is listed on the O'Reilley's Auto Parts web site for order to your house and local store for $29 a gallon. As to if you will actually see it or get it - all bets are off.

I ordered three gallons of Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30 from O'Reilly today. No notification of backorder or anything, order confirmation said I would see it in 5-10 days. We'll see...

My order has shipped! In a few short days I'll have my actual hands on three one-gallon jugs of the mythical Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30.

Saw a couple VOAs in the VOA section, I have a couple questions...

VOA of Rotella T6 CK-4 5w40 showed Phosphorus of 1024
VOA of GC 0w40 showed Phosphorus of 774

Difference of about 250ppm, is that amount going to make a huge difference to a catalytic converter?

Phosphorus aside is there anything else in the Rotella going to be detrimental to a gasoline application?

Not if the rings and valve guides are tight ... If you have blow-by, yes it'll get down stream. But if the engine does not use much oil (say qt/3,000 miles), no worries
smile.gif

I had a Volvo Turbo coupe (242T) that used qt every 1,500 miles from the get go. It ran on the original CAT out to 215K before it plugged with an ash cap. Cut it open, gutted it, welded it back up and it still passed SMOG tests out to 283K when it finally didn't. I donated the car.

Rotella with high ZDDP all the way, except when I used Delo 400
laugh.gif

Air cooled turbo went at 160K. Liquid cooled turbo was still running fine when it went to Purple Heart Society
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Not to speak for Doug, but perhaps one reason that he only specifically recommended dual rated HDEO's in petrol engines is because if an oil was not dual rated perhaps the phosphorus levels would be far above what we have now in your RT6 example. While we can guess that perhaps the reason that the new RT6 5W40 isn't dual rated is possibly because Shell felt like it wasn't wort

49.gif

That would be the only reason I'd consider stopping its use in the truck. It's cat-converter is still good, even though its now old enough to be exempt from emission inspections. Not worried about it in the bike since it still has the JASO-MA2 rating.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I'd call the local SHELL distributor to find Rotella multi-vehicle oil.

I would agree, and Bluewave Energy will get him the 5w-30 much cheaper than CT ever will. He'll pay less at regular price from that Shell distributor than he will on special at CT.

HouseTiger: Not to speak for Doug, either, but an E7, E9 or E6, E7, E9 type lubricant is generally not an issue in a gasser, SM or SN or neither. One does have to be careful to avoid dedicated two stroke diesel engine oils and marine lubes.

While Rotella 5w-40 is no longer technically approved for gasoline engines, it's not like CK-4 coincided with a complete revamp of diesel engines and diesel fuels, making the chemistry of the oil totally unsuitable for gassers. If it worked before, it'll work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back