Any thoughts on mid SAPS c3 oil in newer direct injection engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30
from Walmart
with a 7500 mile OCI.
Your engine is not gonna blow up under warranty.
No way.
It is C3.
Mid SAPS.
MB 229.51.

The only issue is 502.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
I would use
from Walmart
with a 7500 mile OCI.
No way.
It is C3.
Mid SAPS.
MB 229.51.

The only issue is 502.

I did not know it was possible to be C3 and 502 ?

if you dont use any 30 would be ok, but a 40 gives more margin for error with fuel in the oil. oils with lower Noacks of about 7 will have less burn off + less deposits. use a real synthetic 40 + you will have longer to save $$$ until you need a valve cleaning unless you trade.

Originally Posted by benjy
if you dont use any 30 would be ok, but a 40 gives more margin for error with fuel in the oil. oils with lower Noacks of about 7 will have less burn off + less deposits. use a real synthetic 40 + you will have longer to save $$$ until you need a valve cleaning unless you trade.

Pennzoil EuroL 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.5

Originally Posted by wemay

Pennzoil EuroL 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.5

I was going to use the PP L for the next oil change. Still few months away but from what I've read, it's a good oil. I think WM sells them. Say no to water I mean low hths
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I would use
from Walmart
with a 7500 mile OCI.
No way.
It is C3.
Mid SAPS.
MB 229.51.

The only issue is 502.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that the Castrol 5w-30 C3 is VW 502. Maybe it's a misprint on Amazon's listing. I just ordered 7 quarts from NAPA online and will post pics of the actual containers once they come next week. Even if it's not 502, I'm sure it will be fine. The Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP and 0w-40 ESP are a little more expensive, but would likely work great in the VW EA888 gen 3 application. Maybe this mid SAPS C3 Pennzoil with 229.51 would be just as good and a bit less expensive. Maybe next change I'll use that.

Yes, agree that a little thicker is generally a good idea when there are fuel dilution issues. But, like others have mentioned here the EA888 doesn't typically have a fuel dilution problem. However, I think the Castrol 5w-30 C3 has a 3.5 HTHS so it's certainly not too thin. I think the oil I was using (M1 0w-40 FS) has an HTHS of 3.6, so not much of a difference there.

Originally Posted by Vaca
I would use
from Walmart
with a 7500 mile OCI.
No way.
It is C3.
Mid SAPS.
MB 229.51.

The only issue is 502.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that the Castrol 5w-30 C3 is VW 502. Maybe it's a misprint on Amazon's listing. I just ordered 7 quarts from NAPA online and will post pics of the actual containers once they come next week. Even if it's not 502, I'm sure it will be fine. The Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP and 0w-40 ESP are a little more expensive, but would likely work great in the VW EA888 gen 3 application. Maybe this mid SAPS C3 Pennzoil with 229.51 would be just as good and a bit less expensive. Maybe next change I'll use that.

It says it on the bottle also

Originally Posted by Vaca
I would use
from Walmart
with a 7500 mile OCI.
No way.
It is C3.
Mid SAPS.
MB 229.51.

The only issue is 502.

No, there is no misprint or misrepresentation.
There are briefly 2 categories of VW 50200.
The first category of VW 50200 is built from A3B4 and this always comes with 50500.
However there is a second category of VW 50200 that is unrelated to A3B4, but is built on C3 and this comes with VW 50501 designation. Often times it's called VW 50200/50500/50501, less frequently called VW 50200/50501.

Originally Posted by Crobinson16
Patman, which esp version are you using, I just picked up a box of 5w30 but I believe it's the older version, how do you tell.

I'm using the older version of it. You can easily tell because they changed the name. The one I'm using is called ESP Formula 5w30 but the newer version has dropped the word Formula so now is just called ESP 5w30. The specs on the version I'm using are a bit better, which is why I've stocked up and have 5 more oil changes worth of it (and hope to find a bit more of it when I travel to other Canadian Tire stores out of my area)

No, there is no misprint or misrepresentation.
There are briefly 2 categories of VW 50200.
The first category of VW 50200 is built from A3B4 and this always comes with 50500.
However there is a second category of VW 50200 that is unrelated to A3B4, but is built on C3 and this comes with VW 50501 designation. Often times it's called VW 50200/50500/50501, less frequently called VW 50200/50501.

VW 502.00 is a specification that evolved over the years. Minimum SAPS requirements fall right into C3.
VW505.01 is completely different specification and it came out for first Pumpa-duse engines in 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back