Any suggestions for keeping a dog out of the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank god for this general and off-topic fourm.

Pheww......

I have a 2 and one half year old blue heeler, she is very gentle, and behaves good most of the time.

But.... she loves to get in the road. Anyone have an idea on how I could fix this? Scolding her don't help.

Scare her away from cars. Have someone drive up and hop out clanging some garbage can lids.

Having a dog killed on the road last winter you want to nip this in the bud as fast as you can.

Shock collars are not abusive they are a great a tool for training. Used right it will only take a few times and will respect the road soon after. Read and understand how to use one and it may save the dog's life.

PS I do have 5 dogs and used collars on many of them for many types of training from hunting to obedience training.

my silly dog use to get out of the yard and lay in the street in front of the house. all the cars honking at him clued me in that he was loose again - but he never got run over. the neighbors were always good about getting him out of the street.

I recently lost my baby (10 1/2 years old) because she chased a car --the very first time. She had been to obedience school and always obeyed all commands until that one time. Do not trust them off the leash. I made that mistake and lost my best friend. Put up a fence or walk her on a leash. The week before while out shopping I let her show off to some people in a parking lot. She went through all her commands perfectly and then waited for people to brag on her and pet her. She loved attention. There was a busy road close to the parking lot and she did not even look at the cars. She was a Sheltie.

I'm sorry you lost her Helen, I know how that hurts.
One of my biggest fears was always having one of my dogs hit by a car. They always stayed inside, and when outside, they were always behind a fence or on a leash, unless we were on the beach or in the woods, far away from any road.

I will take it that this is a working farm dog and will be of leash most of the time. Working farm dogs are off lead most of the time no way around it that is the job off the dog. With that said and owner of a past blue heeler they are a hand full and you have to be one step a head of them at all times. IMO having owned both breeds the second smartest dog just behind a border collie who I believe can problem solve.

My friend that has a dog guide tells of the harrowing experience in training of the trainers coming as close to running her and the dog down as they could without doing it. I think they have confirmed in in some of my other training, ''no dog graduates without being rolled''. They must be good, because I never knew of a dog getting killed in training.

Hybrids and electric cars present a danger to the visually impaired.

Had a pound dog (previous escape artist?) who would bolt headlong through the "shock zone" of his collar if he felt like it. Must have had the idea that the pain would end if he just kept going. Got creamed.
frown.gif

Our dog Bossk was hit by a car at 80 km/hr was sent air-born and landed and survived with 2 bruised ribs, sprained leg/paw and was bleeding from his eye and nose. We had to carry him back to the house and I thought for sure he would die in the night...
shocked2.gif

It's 80 km/hr on our rural road and so it is very dangerous.

He now doesn't go near the road, or even close to it because he is scared. He has a hard time even getting close when taking him for a walk because he remembers the ordeal very well. He will look up at you like "please don't go any further... Are you sure?" So Sad...
frown.gif

What kind of setting are you in? Rural, City? I can suggest a setup that will work for you.

The people across the street had an "invisible" fence with a collar on the dog that would shock the dog if it barked or got too close to the road and I guess it stopped working and the dog got hit/died a few months back. I think some sort of physical tether is better.

Start training now. Type of training depends on the dog. Some can do it with rewards, some by dog dominance. It takes repetition and consistency. I never had to resort to shock collars, but some dogs may need that.

Our two current yippers know the bounds well (so does the cat somehow). We used leashes in hand, then leashes but loose, then loose. All the while teaching normal commands. It took months.

A couple things....the dog needs her get energy out. It's just what dogs do. If the dog hasn't had energy release that day...it's going to be tough.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: dave123
Shock collars are not abusive

Would you use one on your kid?

Only when they are bad. Or 13-17.
grin2.gif

I think there are collars that buzz/vibrate, not shock the living [censored] out of fido.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Had a pound dog (previous escape artist?) who would bolt headlong through the "shock zone" of his collar if he felt like it. Must have had the idea that the pain would end if he just kept going. Got creamed.
frown.gif

We got a citronella anti bark collar for my Elkhound who just liked to hear her own voice.

A couple of days of wearing it, and I pretended to go to work one morning to see how it was working.

She barked and barked for a couple of minutes, snuffling and snorting until it was empty, then went on with her regular, intermittent barking.

For our dog who was always tied up in the city where we lived before, had to be tied up in the country as we feared he wouldn't know any better. (not Bossk)

We ran a clothes line cable (plastic coated multi-threaded steel cable) from the house to a wooden deck post that is in the front of our yard with a bird house mounted high up to it. It was about 100ft in length and about 10 feet off the ground. Then we used a pulley that runs back/forth on this line and is attached to another peice of the same cable and hangs down just far enough for us to hook on to the dogs collar, but not low enough that he could get his feet tangled in the line.

It worked great and gave him enough room to run back/forth, do his business and be outside with some freedom and still be secure.

We only put him on it if he was out of our view for whatever reason.

We setup a second one in the back yard for him as well.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. This isn't my setup, but it's close to it...
grin2.gif

trolley%20diagram.jpg

PM me if you want more information.

Steve
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Steve,
given that my dog's gone crazy, and will have to come holidaying with us early next year, that's a neat set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back