Any suggestions for cooking this brisket?

Picked this up a few weeks ago during the Irish holidays. Instructions say to boil in water for hours. Can it be baked in the oven too?

IMG_5276.JPG
IMG_5278.JPG

There are several recipes that use slow cooker or a slow oven to cook this. We use slow cooker with recipes that enhance the flavor packet. Here is a good one that uses baking dish and slow oven.

In a previous lifetime i repaired commercial kitchen equipment. One of the best Jewish delis in town would simmer them overnight in a GIANT steam jacketed kettle. IMO Starting out with better briskets makes more difference than the cooking method.

4 hours on the grill, low temp, indirect heat might also do it, but slow cooker will likely give you a more juicy result.

My brisket typically are boiled for 2 hours the first day, let it heat soak for 12 hrs, then boil for another 1 hr the next day.

Adding yellow rock sugar seems to make it easier to break down, probably any non white sugar (brown, turbinado, etc) would work too.

I always start out at high temperature to render the fat and then cook low and slow for an extended period to break down the collagen for a tender and juicy piece of meat.

Well, it shrunk quite a bit. Tastes pretty good but it's rather chewy. Don't think I overcooked it, but this is why I rarely cook from scratch.

IMG_5324.JPG

Well, it shrunk quite a bit. Tastes pretty good but it's rather chewy. Don't think I overcooked it, but this is why I rarely cook from scratch.

View attachment 52465
From what I know you need to keep the liquid at least 1/2 way covered or it will dry up. Typically I cut them all up before cooking and the total cook time would be at least 20 mins blanching, then 2 hrs in pressure cooker. I think maybe pressure cooking would be better for you before roasting.

Last edited:
Crock Pot or oven (in a post roast pan) at coldest temperature (175) overnight. Marinade with liquid smoke. The brisket will make it's own au jus. YUM!!

Back