Any suggestions for caulk guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a new caulking gun. I have a cheap, Home Depot one that's worked OK for Acrylic, Latex, and Silicone caulks. However, recently I've been using more Polyurethane caulks and the orange gun takes a LOT of squeezing to lay a bead.

I'd like to find one that makes dispensing the Polyurethane faster & easier.

(Just realized this should be in the Tool Time forum, the system won't let me delete it now).

Last edited:
My use is mostly DIY around the house, so I use the common 10 oz tubes. A cordless gun looks neat, but I'm not looking to spend $150.

Strange, I find, with polyurethane the problem is STOPPING the adhesive coming out of the gun.

What brand are you using?

Cox Applicators gun has worked well for me.

They have models that range from affordable to expensive. I have a cheap one that's assembled in the USA from parts made in the UK.

I bought mine new on either ebay or Amazon.

Not sure it will work with caulk. But whenever I use gasket maker I have trouble squeezing it out. So I'd heat up some water and pour it into an old soup can and insert the tube of gasket maker and it softens it up and makes it easier to squeeze out. Maybe use a heat gun or put it in the sun may help also.

Originally Posted By: expat
Strange, I find, with polyurethane the problem is STOPPING the adhesive coming out of the gun.

What brand are you using?

I've used the Henkel/Loctite stuff primarily (smells like chocolate). I usually release the trigger and pull the plunger on my cheap one and the flow usually ceases. I used to think all of the tubes I'd used were old, but once I get the caulk out, it's fine.

I'm not sure how to read the "thrust ratio". I've seen 6:1 & 10:1 for low viscosity and 160:25 on some more powerful ones (seems like that'd be around 6:1 ?).

I'll look at the suggested ones. Thanks for the replies thus far.

I have a Dripless brand caulk gun. Bought it from a local hardware store, think it was around $10 or so. They make quite a variety of caulk guns. The one I have is made of some plastic or composite material and supposedly ergonomic as well. Had it for many years and still works great. I've only used it for latex and silicone caulk though.

My hands are locking up when over used so I also got the dripless kind from a hardware store for about $13-15 as it pulls easier and doesn't drip either, almost not at all, saves caulk. I also got the HD better version, made in China, it's not quite as good as the $13 one, but still the difference is huge compared to the cheapies I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back