Any specific type and brand of oil to prevent oil burning (00 corolla with worn piston rings)

My 2000 corolla has a oil burning problem. Mainly after coasting downhill in gear and giving it gas, it will emit a large plume of blue smoke. Also under heavyish acceleration it will emit a very faint trail of blue smoke. The burning comes from worn piston rings which these 00-02 corollas are known for. What oil would you recommend to help reduce this? I am willing to use 10w-40 for the summer months and would prefer to use conventional because of the price. Any specific brands?

I currently use 5w-30 pennzoil high mileage conventional. I use this because the high mileage helps prevent small gasket leaks but burning is a bigger issue for me. I’m using about a quart every 400 miles.

I personally don’t think there is an oil thick enough to stop oil blowby.
You may try a high mileage oil on the thicker side and I do wish you the best of success.

x2, if you find an oil that can fix this issue, do let us know.

There was oil burning issue due to valve seal (?) with the 2006-2008 2az-fe and Toyota have to actually fix the issue in the engine.
I helped a friend who has a Rav4 with this engine that has the problem.
Initially, I fill up with thicker oil and I thought the fast oil change place did not fill it up properfly.
After a couple of days, level was down again.
So I searched and surely enough, there is a problem and Toyota have an special warranty for this issue.
Her Rav4 was about 500 miles before the warranty expired so she started the warranty process with stealership.

Your engine is likely just worn out. You can keep pouring oil into it, but its ring and piston wear, and oil-burning will only get worse. Your Corolla does not have the same problem with piston ring land design and manufacturing deficiencies that the '07-09 2AZ-FE engine had, and is not covered by a similar warranty extension.

How many miles are on your car? How long does it take to go 400 miles?
Might be time to make use of all the filler instructions printed in every repair manual ever published; and that is to do a ring job.
IIRC all you need is a hammer handle to shove the reringed piston back down the cylinder and bits of clear tubing to keep the rod cap bolts from scratching the crank. Easy

As everyone else notes, no oil is likely to correct a 1qt/400 miles appetite. For reference here are the pistons on an engine I rebuilt that was consuming oil at about the same rate. It’s not pretty.

3082076F-221C-46A8-B055-67D5FDD2AC2D.jpeg

Twas me i would at least try some heavier Maxlife or similar. Many high hp engines we race use oil at nearly that rate if we whip them.

But as per above you may simply be too worn...

I'm just gonna leave this here.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

The oil return holes on the pistons are probably clogged as this is a common issue. Will this and the use of synthetic oil help to unclog them And prevent clogs in the future?

Be careful of your catalytic converter. If you’re going through that much oil, RESTORE may pollute your cat and cause it to fail.
The catalytic converter has already been dealt with a few months ago 😊😊

The oil return holes on the pistons are probably clogged as this is a common issue. Will this and the use of synthetic oil help to unclog them And prevent clogs in the future?
I've had multiple 1ZZ vehicles, and no oil will unclog the oil return holes without disassembly and manual drilling of those holes. But this product by HPL is showing such great performance, that (in my humble opinion) it may actually have a good fighting chance. May take some time, will require top offs and oil filter changes every 500-1000 miles. But this is literally the only product I actually have faith in, in such application.

Try Restore oil additive; it can’t hurt at this point. Seems to really help some worn-out engines.
Does hcl cleaner do good?
I've had multiple 1ZZ vehicles, and no oil will unclog the oil return holes without disassembly and manual drilling of those holes. But this product by HPL is showing such great performance, that (in my humble opinion) it may actually have a good fighting chance. May take some time, will require top offs and oil filter changes every 500-1000 miles. But this is literally the only product I actually have faith in, in such application.
should I be using conventional oil or synthetic? My main goal is to prevent the car from throwing a rod through the block or something. I’m fine with putting in the oil but I can’t have this engine destroy itself. Will synthetic stop gunk up from happening? Should I be using a lighter (5w-20) or heavier weight oil (10w-40)? I feel that the heavier weight oil will slow down oil consumption but oil won’t be getting to necessary parts of the engine. What do you think?

The car doesn’t have a cat anymore

Also if there is a number I can call you at. I’d rather do that then text lol. Up to you though. If so, direct message me ur number

My 2000 corolla has a oil burning problem. Mainly after coasting downhill in gear and giving it gas, it will emit a large plume of blue smoke. Also under heavyish acceleration it will emit a very faint trail of blue smoke. The burning comes from worn piston rings which these 00-02 corollas are known for.
If true then all the cleaning potions and oils aren't going to do a thing.

Back