Any sense in saving lower control arms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the lower control arms, but what to do with the old ones? For now I'm saving them to rebuild is case I ever find bushings for them, but as of now, the bushings are not available separately and I don't know if they ever will be. The ball joints however, are readily available. Right now I'm trying to find a box to store them in. What would you do? Keep them or toss them?

If standard bushes aren't available would you consider poly bushes? They're available for pretty much everything.

Save them with all your other scrap and weigh it in at the scrapyard.

Yeah, polyurethane bushings would be fine if there were some available that fit.

You guys say "bushes" over there in England? Over here, "bushes" has a whole different meaning.
grin2.gif

keep in a giant pile of other scrap metals and take it to the junkyard after you get a truckload worth. took me about 2-3 years but it was satisfying and worth it.

If you didn't feel like rebuilding them now why would do it later? Toss em.
I am buying a couple of front bushing from moog, mine are okay at this point but i want the new joint type, did you get these?

Trav - mine aren't the new joint type because the mounting bolts go in horizontally, but the bushings are the new trick polyurethane bushings and the attached ball joints are greaseable. I got the Moog Problem Solver lower control arms. From now on, all my future suspension parts will be Moog Problem Solver.

The old control arms are the factory originals and they're in great shape except for the rubber bushings being worn out. It's a California car, so the arms have never seen road salt. It just seems like a shame to throw them away when all they need is new bushings and ball joints.

I was just reading the Tension Strut Bushing instructions on BMW TIS, and the manual states that bushings can only be pressed out of the aluminum arms ONCE. Some members have stated that the arms can distort if you attempt to service the bushings.

Are your arms aluminum, or are they steel?

Have you seen any other owners with the same car ever able to replace the bushing separately? If not, chances are it is not worth saving the old arms.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's a California car, so the arms have never seen road salt. It just seems like a shame to throw them away when all they need is new bushings and ball joints.[/font]

I have an axe that only needs a new head and maybe a handle.
wink.gif

Seriously, lining up the new ball joint so it'll take an alignment will he harder for you than at the LCA factory. BTDT.

I will try their new front bushing because its patented and not available from anyone else but i wont use their parts for anything else, burn me once your fault, burn me twice my fault for being a stupid arse. Thats my opinion of Moog in general.
Now it seems Deeza might be having problems so its Raybestos pro or OE only. The last thing in the world i want is zerk fittings, they are a real deal breaker.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I will try their new front bushing because its patented and not available from anyone else but i wont use their parts for anything else, burn me once your fault, burn me twice my fault for being a stupid arse. Thats my opinion of Moog in general.
Now it seems Deeza might be having problems so its Raybestos pro or OE only. The last thing in the world i want is zerk fittings, they are a real deal breaker.

And I'm sure you knew that Federal Mogal bought Raybestos, right? I was talking to the NAPA Chassis rep the other day when this came up. He had no answers when asked if FM (Moog) would ruin the NAPA Chassis line (Raybestos Pro) with their hideously sucky boots and gusher bearings or not...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have an axe that only needs a new head and maybe a handle.
wink.gif

That's real good. I like that one.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

And I'm sure you knew that Federal Mogal bought Raybestos, right? I was talking to the NAPA Chassis rep the other day when this came up. He had no answers when asked if FM (Moog) would ruin the NAPA Chassis line (Raybestos Pro) with their hideously sucky boots and gusher bearings or not...

Yes i know that. So far there doesn't appear to be any cross contamination. If they start using those horrible Moog boots its over.
If Moog gets their act together and tightens up the QC, uses a more modern design and uses better boots i will use them again as long as its made in the USA/first world.

I was looking at a 35 year old 240D the other day with original tie rods and ball joints in it.
Over 250K miles and not a zerk in sight. The original and still owner verified no front end parts have ever been replaced.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Yes i know that. So far there doesn't appear to be any cross contamination. If they start using those horrible Moog boots its over.
If Moog gets their act together and tightens up the QC, uses a more modern design and uses better boots i will use them again as long as its made in the USA/first world.

I was looking at a 35 year old 240D the other day with original tie rods and ball joints in it.
Over 250K miles and not a zerk in sight. The original and still owner verified no front end parts have ever been replaced.

Does the 240D have a MacStrut front end? If not, 250k miles? Wow, just wow!

No struts just shocks and springs.
I had a 1980 200D that had all its original front end parts. I guess the point is they can really build lubed for life joints.
I see a lot of old Toyota and Subaru and some GM SUV with their original LFL joints after 150K and 16 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back