Any risk in using old routers?

I have the er-10x and I keep it around as a spare/backup but honestly it's usefulness for other than that has pretty much left the building. I was using a Linksys E3000 wireless N router and was gigabit but was limiting the bandwith to around 200mb if even that much, I didn't find out until I upgraded my plan with Comcast to their 300mb service and after quite a bit of research I decided to get away from these types of routers and to go with something more for business type use. It worked great, I even had it setup to be powered by an unmanaged POE switch I had lying around and serve as the uplink to the rest of my network, I had to buy a special adapter that reduces the voltage into the unit but it worked great, Ubiquiti liked to use Passive POE especially for their AP's.

I've since upgraded again but to gigabit service and found that I was in the same boat, this router would only let me get around 600-700mb or so but I can't remember the exact number but it turned out to be the bottleneck yet again for me. I have a friend who helped me setup a pfSense box on a server I had which in the end was really way overkill for it but was working and no more bottlenecks. I had something happen to the server, I can't seem to remember what but not a hardware issue, I ended up taking it over his house and he ended up redoing everything and installing VM Ware so I could at least run other VM's all on the same system.... fast forward to today and other people in the house have been complaining about the noise, electricity, etc... I got tired of hearing it all so I purchased a Protectli box to use for pfSense.

Last I knew about Ubiquiti was that they were dropping their edge router line. There was a bottleneck issue with the 10x and there was a configuration change I could've made but honestly it still wasn't enough to fully support the gigabit I am paying for. I am using a Netgear cablemodem that actually has dual ports so I am able to team them together and get slightly over gigabit speeds, I may end up upgrading the modem, the newer ones have a single 2.5gbe which is also what the Protectli box has.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14621307308

I have the er-10x and I keep it around as a spare/backup but honestly it's usefulness for other than that has pretty much left the building. I was using a Linksys E3000 wireless N router and was gigabit but was limiting the bandwith to around 200mb if even that much, I didn't find out until I upgraded my plan with Comcast to their 300mb service and after quite a bit of research I decided to get away from these types of routers and to go with something more for business type use. It worked great, I even had it setup to be powered by an unmanaged POE switch I had lying around and serve as the uplink to the rest of my network, I had to buy a special adapter that reduces the voltage into the unit but it worked great, Ubiquiti liked to use Passive POE especially for their AP's.

I've since upgraded again but to gigabit service and found that I was in the same boat, this router would only let me get around 600-700mb or so but I can't remember the exact number but it turned out to be the bottleneck yet again for me. I have a friend who helped me setup a pfSense box on a server I had which in the end was really way overkill for it but was working and no more bottlenecks. I had something happen to the server, I can't seem to remember what but not a hardware issue, I ended up taking it over his house and he ended up redoing everything and installing VM Ware so I could at least run other VM's all on the same system.... fast forward to today and other people in the house have been complaining about the noise, electricity, etc... I got tired of hearing it all so I purchased a Protectli box to use for pfSense.

Last I knew about Ubiquiti was that they were dropping their edge router line. There was a bottleneck issue with the 10x and there was a configuration change I could've made but honestly it still wasn't enough to fully support the gigabit I am paying for. I am using a Netgear cablemodem that actually has dual ports so I am able to team them together and get slightly over gigabit speeds, I may end up upgrading the modem, the newer ones have a single 2.5gbe which is also what the Protectli box has.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14621307308
They still sell the Edgerouter 10X, but most of their stuff is out of stock. I am guessing supply chain issues. Some processors are very hard to get yet

Last edited:
I had to upgrade my router at the beginning of the pandemic because it would drop me off team meeting left and right, and my trial and error found the reason is the old WRT160N rev 1.1 with DD-WRT was maxed out at 4mbps upload speed. Going past that would drop packets and my team meeting would drop out.

In theory I "could" keep using it but I need 5GHz to stream VR video to my Oculus Go, so upgrade time after 12 years.

Ever since discovering Endian UTM, which works great on an Atom processor or a home ESX box, I’ve never been able to go with anything else… and I have 2 UniFi implementations at work and 2 more I helped friends set up at home. As sexy as the UniFi cosmos is, I’ve been happier with the slightly less GUI-friendly, but still quite excellent, Endian.

Back