Any Ring-Free Alternatives Out There? Prices!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for alternatives to Yamaha brand Ring Free. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's an additive that is supposed to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and spark plugs. It leaves an oily residue, and appears to do its job well. Downside: It's very expensive, close to $50 per quart, and Yamaha highly recommends it 2 cycle engines. Have any of you found anything out there that does what Ring Free does and doesn't steal your wallet?

Well the alternative to me would be using the right 2 cycle oil product for your application?

I've never heard of the stuff and I've run thousands of hours on 2 cycle engines?

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
It's very expensive, close to $50 per quart, and Yamaha highly recommends it 2 cycle engines

Oh,I'm sure they do recommend it at $50/qt.
It can be had on Amazon for $42/qt but the question still stands...
Why not just use the proper fluid in the first place and avoid the need for something like this?!?

Need a proper chemical analysis to see what's in it.

Probably it's just a mixture of SeaFoam, Berryman's B-12, and Techron.

I use Mercury Quickleen. Specifically combats carbon deposits just like Ring-Free. First time I used it I had black carbon goo draining out of my prop/lower unit so I know it was working. It's generally about $12-13 for a 12 oz bottle. 1 oz treats 5 gal. What's the treat rate of Ring-Free? Quickleen ends up running about $0.21 per treated gallon roughly.

I don't know this for sure, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for Yamaha marine hardware and lubricants, but sometimes shipping a bottle of heavy liquid from Japan just isn't cost effective. I would try the Mercury Marine product first were it me (and basically those are the two companies I rely on for marine stuff in general).

EDIT: Apparently the Yamalube Ring-Free is supposed to be added at a ratio of 1 oz to 10 gallons fuel. Doesn't sound that expensive to me, Amazon sells a 12 oz bottle (120 gallons of treated fuel) for $20 (less than 17c per gallon). If you need more than 120 gallons of treated fuel, there is something else seriously wrong.

I have a friend who is one of The top Yamaha mechanics in my area (S Florida) and when he told me to use Ring Free I never thought twice about it. I hace been using it for 8 years in my F115, always runs great.

would you consider using z-max ? I use it in a vehicle and cut open oil filter and it was full of sludge that it had freed up in that engine. i wouldn't hesitate to pour some in the cylinder with the piston above the ports and let it soak for a few days then run it to blow out all the stuff it softened up.

check this out https://youtu.be/zf27FQsh3Nc?t=1m9s

the only difference this oil change was using z-max.

Originally Posted By: rokwldr
I have a friend who is one of The top Yamaha mechanics in my area (S Florida) and when he told me to use Ring Free I never thought twice about it. I hace been using it for 8 years in my F115, always runs great.

Can you kindly ask your friend what is so special about Yamaha oil and filters that they seem to think it is worth this kind of money?
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail...e=12&page=1

I know it's a kit, but 3 liters of oil, one oil filter and a crush washer for almost $74 dollars?

I did "one" oil change on my 2008 Yamaha Vector using Yamalube full syn which cost me over $90 dollars CDN.

Needless to say, that was the only oil change I did using Yamalube as I read UOAs and VOAs and found there was nothing special about it at all, or nothing that even came remotely close to the price they were charging for it.

I'm doing the Tim Allen Home Improvement H-u-u-u-h-h-h-h!
This thread led me to look at Ring Free, then the thread mentioned on HullTruth, then to Marvel Ultimate Fuel & Motor Treatment, then to Hydrocarbyl Amine, to decarbonization of two strokes. Climbing back out of the rabbit hole, I find the holy grail, and it's on my shelf in the garage. A chilled 50/50 mix of water and brake fluid. HA! Seafoam lovers and haters alike, rejoice, this is the way to clean your cylinders and piston tops. It's even patented... Decarbonization Fluid

After lots of fuel system issues recently on little used small engines, I've got them all cleaned up, and have settled on an E0 fuel of some sort and Techron. The scooter has VP SEF, as does the pressure washer (with it's new Amazon chinese clone carb). A 5 gallon pail of Gulf Mach is on the way for a clean E0 source that will last a while.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'm doing the Tim Allen Home Improvement H-u-u-u-h-h-h-h!
This thread led me to look at Ring Free, then the thread mentioned on HullTruth, then to Marvel Ultimate Fuel & Motor Treatment, then to Hydrocarbyl Amine, to decarbonization of two strokes. Climbing back out of the rabbit hole, I find the holy grail, and it's on my shelf in the garage. A chilled 50/50 mix of water and brake fluid. HA! Seafoam lovers and haters alike, rejoice, this is the way to clean your cylinders and piston tops. It's even patented... Decarbonization Fluid

After lots of fuel system issues recently on little used small engines, I've got them all cleaned up, and have settled on an E0 fuel of some sort and Techron. The scooter has VP SEF, as does the pressure washer (with it's new Amazon chinese clone carb). A 5 gallon pail of Gulf Mach is on the way for a clean E0 source that will last a while.

Did you try the brake fluid? If so, the water mix version, or the version described in THT thread?

I burn 120 gallons in 2 weeks. I have a 200 and I use it 3x a week or so. I use the Evinrude ring free stuff and its about the same price, It;s $24 for 12oz. I use the full synthetic HD100 2 stroke oil so I think I'm going to stop the ring free.

Ring Free is the only Yamaha product I use. For engine oil I have been using NAPA Universal Fleet 15-40 and Mercury oil filter which crosses over to Yamaha no worries. I now spend around &25 for an oil change. Lower unit I use Bombardier (Johnson) SPX. The Yamaha $ strokes are flat tappet motors and need ZDDP and the diesel oils compare to the FWC oils. My F115 is a 2005 and there were no FWC oils then so it says use 10-30 or 10-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back