Any recommendations on new oil for my LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using German Castrol for the past few years in my LS1 with good luck. No burning, nothing. Sure, I get piston slap upon start up but that's GM for ya.

Car is only driven in the summer months and that's it. Lately I've been thinking IF I should go with something that is 5W?

What else would you guys recommend that is as good, if not superior to GC?

I think most of the LS motors are spec'd for good old 5w30. I see no reason to run anything thicker unless the motor is seriously built up or is FI.

GC is probably too thick for the car.

Any name brand synthetic 5w30 is fine for an LS1. I have GC in mine now, but the piston slap seems louder than with lighter 30 weights. It's pretty hard to beat regular M1. I really liked M1 HM when I tried it a few years ago. It gave lower consumption than regular M1.

I have a Heads, CAM, N20 LS1. It put Mobil 1 10W30 in it. No issues. If I need make up oil it gets what is laying around.

Originally Posted By: Striker
I've been using German Castrol for the past few years in my LS1 with good luck. No burning, nothing. Sure, I get piston slap upon start up but that's GM for ya.

Car is only driven in the summer months and that's it. Lately I've been thinking IF I should go with something that is 5W?

0w, 5w 10w is only a concern in below 0 starting temps. ESP for performance car summer use.
BUT, you are not using an ILSAC energy conserving oil - which MAY be a good thing.
When the engine becomes "used to" a lube and it likes it, I would NOT change to an ILSAC oil and its associated dirty, varnish making VM adds. Anyhow its likely not a real tech synthetic as the Euro spec LL lubes are - just market manipulated dino juice.

I would say M1 0w40, Castrol ACEA A3B4 MB/VAG spec, MOTUL X-MAX 5w30, Fuchs Silkolene, Total Quartz or other LL oils are decent year rounders. You may wish a motorsport oil for sub 5k miles OCI instead of the 10K mile + LL oil with its "too much detergent".

Or, you could try mid saps ILSAC PU 5w/10w30 or M1 or EDGE w/Ti as something to free up some ponies - at what cost to your safety margin though ... ... . could be the straw that breaks the crank.

Last edited:
You could use just about any modern PCMO and be fine. I can not recall the thousands of LS-1 Z28's, SS's, and Trans Am's that had bulk quick lube place oil changes and ran better than fine for XXX,XXXX of miles.

I have M1 0w-30 in mine right now. Piston slap is gone before I get to the end of the cul-de-sac. Nothing I've used ever made it go away; I don't think it matters anyway.

I've used just about everything in my '98, with good results. Thin 30w, thick 30w, several 40w's. It doesn't matter...unless you drive it hard and might actually need a 40w.

Agreed.

My piston slap disappears in 2 minutes.

Sort of offtopic: I had the car parked for 2 years....noticed two drops of oil underneath it in my car jacket. Not happy and I know these things never leak oil. My buddy that's a tech things it may be the oil filter seal from sitting.

Sort of offtopic: I had the car parked for 2 years....noticed two drops of oil underneath it in my car jacket. Not happy and I know these things never leak oil. My buddy that's a tech things it may be the oil filter seal from sitting.

OT reply: check the torque on the rear cover bolts (oil pan around the filter area, different from the other pan bolts), mine loosened up over the years and caused a similar leak.

2000 Camaro SS

Not that picky. Run almost any oil and follow the OLM. Engines last nearly forever.

We run a synthetic just because we like it, but it is a fact these engines are simply NOT hard on the oil...

Originally Posted By: neo3

OT reply: check the torque on the rear cover bolts (oil pan around the filter area, different from the other pan bolts), mine loosened up over the years and caused a similar leak.

2000 Camaro SS

Thanks buddy. Any ideas as to what torque they need to be at?

I have the 3800 in my Firebird (not the same engine, I know!) but I also have a similar leak. Just one or two drips. I was told it was probably coming from the rear main or the oil pan gasket. Anyways, I wanted to chime in to say that we had the same issue in a LT1 Firebird Formula before and after a few hundred miles of Valvoline Maxlife, the leak completely stopped. I'm using a HM oil in my new Firebird as well to hopefully stop the leak. Might be worth a try if it continues to drip a little bit...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It ain't broke.........

My 6.0 in my C3 doesn't slap. It's an 01. Did they have it figured out by then?

You swapped an LS2 (or a punched-out/stroked LS1) into a '68-'82 Vette??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
It ain't broke.........

21.gif

C3 = Denali Truck, before it was called Denali.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
It ain't broke.........

21.gif

C3 = Denali Truck, before it was called Denali.
smile.gif

OK, gotcha.

I am not up on my GM truck model platform codes.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back