Any Recomendation on a vehicle for a taller driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked at a few cars and I found that anything GM pretty much doesn't work for me because the brake pedal sticks out so far that when I get my foot comfortably in position to actuate the accelerator I can't comfortably move back over to the brake and the cars I've tried were cars that are supposed to have a large amount of Leg Room, a Buick Lucerne, Olds Bravada, and a Pontiac Grand Prix. I tried a Kia Optima, I think the 45in of legroom they quote in the specs is a little overstated. I've found that Nissan and Infiniti vehicles work well for me, but the newer Nissans have the dreaded CVTs, and finding a 2006 or older Altima that's not completely ragged out is not that easy, and I've testdrove an Infiniti G25 and an M37, the G25 was way overpriced at 10 grand for being a 10 year old base model with a ragged out interior with over 120k miles and no service history. the M37 was one of the cheapest I could find at around 12 grand it had over 100k miles on it and it was running poorly, there was a weird vibration in the steering wheel and it was running kind of rough, it also didn't want to turn over but it was pretty cold out the day I looked at it. So far the older Nissan Altima was the best thing I've driven, it's got the little four banger in it that should be easier to work on, and it is designed to run on 87, unlike the Nissan V6 engines which really need premium which can cost from like $0.60-1.00 more a gallon around here compared to regular. So what cars are there out there that have a decently fuel efficient engine in them, preferable a 4 cylinder that's easier to work on, don't require premium fuel, and have the leg room for a taller guy?

The 2018 Altima I had as a rental wasn't bad at all, I was quite surprised.

That being said, my 300 is even better for my 6'3" self. My coworker, who is 6'6" said his older 300 was the first car he ever sat in that he didn't have to put the seat all the way back.

I'm tall as well & have big feet....Most vehicles are uncomfortable for me. I like my loaded 2500HD with 8-way power seat & my Avalon with 8-way power seat. Also have a 2003 Lexus ES300 project that I fit well into.

I don't remember having issues with the/a Lucerne, Are you sure the Pedals weren't all the way up? I maintain a 2007 Lucerne Super & have to run the pedals down to be comfortable.

Olds Bravada? GMT360?....Dodged a bullet there! Rather have a late model Northstar powered Buick or Cadillac.

Cadillac Northstar V8 SRX. I bet few here have actually drivin one?

Originally Posted by Skippy722

That being said, my 300 is even better for my 6'3" self. My coworker, who is 6'6" said his older 300 was the first car he ever sat in that he didn't have to put the seat all the way back.

I fit well into loaded LX Chryslers.

Its all about the seat height adjustment - At 6'4" I can sit comfortably in a Vw Scirocco - by adjusting the seat height down to its lowest setting I have plenty headroom.

Test drive several different vehicles and remember for the best fit you ideally want 3 things; adjustable seat height, adjustable steering coloumn, and NO sunroof. sunroof encroaches on headroom.

The problem with newer Nissans isn't how they drive, it's owning a car with a transmission system that has a reputation of being a very expensive time bomb, unless Nissan/Jatco has sorted out the issues with their CVTs.

Re GM pedals not being situated correctly for your feet - you could use a block on top of the lower pedal to raise the contact surface up to the height of the ther pedal if you want a quick fix - or you could fit an adjustable pedal box for a more involved but equally more satisfying solution.

i am 6'2" and like sit up high in sedans. both my passat and yaris are roomy and airy. minimal console and no sunroof are essential. how about a kia soul?

I'm 6'3" and am comfortable in a Honda Accord. Honestly, the best thing to do is to take different vehicles for a test drive. What's comfortable for me might not be for you or vice versa. Leg room is only one factor in being able to achieve a comfortable driving position.

My son is 6-3" x 260 … drives a Charger after owning a Chrysler 300 for 140k miles
(it was a reliable car, BTW) …

I'm 6'4, possibly verging on 6'5 if I've slept and stretched a lot. Ive found the biggest culprit is a sunroof. Beyond that it's just how they set up seat height. Ive been very happy in smaller econoboxes when set up well, and unhappy in bigger cars where the sunroof encroaches where my head is.

I had a late model Camry rental, and it didn't have a sunroof (that I remember), and it had so much legroom I could have reclined the seat and gone to sleep like I was laying down.

I bought my accord without a sunroof on purpose me didn't fit in the model that was outfit with one without hitting my head on the roof.

I'm 6'4" and I fit just fine in my wife's Chevy spark, or the multiple sparks I've owned over the years. I've found that every cheap small car I've ever sat in has fit me just fine. Head room is better in these cars than most mid-sized sedans I've been in.

OP surprised to hear the Lucerne didn't work for you, it's the first Sedan I've owned where I didn't have to adjust the seat all the way back.

Last edited:
Yo Blufeb95.
Excellent question.
I am 6'5".
I have a 2013 Mazda 6 and I found that, to be most comfortable in the driver's seat, I have to pull the seat *forward* a "notch" or two which is something I have never needed to do in any other vehicle. I do have the seat adjusted all the way down and the front of the seat (leg lift) mostly all the way up.
I find that I have good leg room and the rear passenger seat has enough leg room for my tall-ish kids when they ride.
It seems to work.
cvlw

This was brought up in Car & Driver many years ago. Who remembers Shaquille O'Neal sitting in a Buick? He is 7'1".

A Nissan Cube is supposed to have LOTS of stretch-out room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back