Any reasons NOT to use Rotella 5w-40 in Euro Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is OK oil.
But Rotella never had very good NOACK, and KV 15.3 is seriously thick. You will feel that turbo spool's slower.
Try it and see how it does, do UOA. I personally would never put it in my Tiguan, but here is a chance for you to try it and let us know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Zolton
A lot of car sites, people claim they get their best UOA results on Rotella. BMW, Subaru....etc

I don't know what a "best UOA" is, but on my 1.8T EA888 (Stage 1 APR tune), my wear numbers have been low single digits, and there's plenty of additive left.

I'm using a 504/507 oil, which is what is spec'd. I don't consider it a huge hardship to purchase it and put it in the vehicle. I'm not running an oil change shop at my house, so minimizing sku count isn't a big concern. I order oil when I need it, or a change or two ahead of time if it's on sale. That's not too fussy for me.

Personally, I wouldn't use a highly additized oil in a direct injection engine that doesn't call for it. I see no benefits, and some potential drawbacks.

Originally Posted by JOD
A lot of car sites, people claim they get their best UOA results on Rotella. BMW, Subaru....etc

I don't know what a "best UOA" is, but on my 1.8T EA888 (Stage 1 APR tune), my wear numbers have been low single digits, and there's plenty of additive left.

I'm using a 504/507 oil, which is what is spec'd. I don't consider it a huge hardship to purchase it and put it in the vehicle. I'm not running an oil change shop at my house, so minimizing sku count isn't a big concern. I order oil when I need it, or a change or two ahead of time if it's on sale. That's not too fussy for me.

Personally, I wouldn't use a highly additized oil in a direct injection engine that doesn't call for it. I see no benefits, and some potential drawbacks.

Hi JOD,

What is your OCI? And which oil you used BTW?

Last edited:
Let's just say I don't care about cats. I'm more of a dog person anyway.

When I see lots of Ca … thinking of the dog bone under the piston …

Originally Posted by JOD
Personally, I wouldn't use a highly additized oil in a direct injection engine that doesn't call for it.
I see in the first post nothing "highly additized". You?

I see no benefits, and some potential drawbacks.
Let's hear. (concerning T6full analysis)

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Are you on this board just to pick fights with people?
I am grieved. I react sometimes littlebit too overdone to hooey
21.gif

I am a Bosch certified diesel fuel injection technician, specializing in common rail. So I like to believe I have some idea what I'm talking about...
We talk not about injection. We are on the other side of the car
56.gif

But on the subject of motor oil additive packs and exhaust after treatment system compatibility, I will believe the experts and follow their recommendations.
Sorry, but this contains 0 explanations. Zero.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer

Sorry, but this contains 0 explanations. Zero.

What I mean is the oil is not SN rated for a reason and personally in a gasoline vehicle with a cat, I wouldn't use it. If your opinion is different that is fine. It makes no sense to me since regular 502 oil will run this engine for 300k+ km no problem at all. As I said before if you "have" to use an HDEO there are Delo and Delvac options that have SN.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aleneros
Originally Posted by JOD

Hi JOD,

What is your OCI? And which oil you used BTW?

My OCI is conservative, between 5 and 6K, but only because the tune dumps a bit more fuel into the oil. You can see 2 of my last 3 UOA's here. I have a 3rd on that is 6K, and it's almost identical: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w1-8t-ea888-alltrack-5011-miles-apr-tune

I'm currently using Mobil1 Formula 5W30 ESP.

Taiwan has been low sulfur for longer than the US, so fuel quality shouldn't be an issue. It's more the breathing in of scooter exhaust that's the issues! (I'm in Taichung about 3 months a year).

JOD said:
Personally, I wouldn't use a highly additized oil in a direct injection engine that doesn't call for it.
I see in the first post nothing "highly additized". You?

I see no benefits, and some potential drawbacks.
Let's hear. (concerning T6full analysis)

Jimmy_Russells said:
Rotalla is certainly a highly additized oil compared to the low-saps oils...

IVD's are caused by unburned additives--from fuel, and from oil. In the Gen3 EA888, there is not much blowby. I'm consuming about 4 oz of oil over a 5K OCI (was less before the tune). That said, there is still some...so using an oil with more additive than necessarily is going to play some role in increasing IVDs.

That said, I'd respectfully suggest that if one is looking at using an oil outside of the manufacturer's recommendation, the onus is really on them to show why it's a good idea...

Last edited:

Does anyone want a hat?

The most important question - is it Realtree or Mossy Oak? Shell's gotta pander to their target audience with Rotella. :p

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
What I mean is the oil is not SN rated for a reason and personally in a gasoline vehicle with a cat, I wouldn't use it. If your opinion is different that is fine. It makes no sense to me since regular 502 oil will run this engine for 300k+ km no problem at all.
Yes, ok. But that was not the question from OP
56.gif

Second, OP nor I says, if one drive 502 instead T6, he make it worse. Both are not the topic here.

Originally Posted by JOD
Rotalla is certainly a highly additized oil compared to the low-saps oils...
Again. VOA in the first post. Where on a leaf you see highly additizes oil? We must not build up a theory. We have VOA here.

Originally Posted by edyvw
But Rotella never had very good NOACK, and KV 15.3 is seriously thick. You will feel that turbo spool's slower.
Ok. Compared to which oil? On how much °F?

Zolton spoke about VW 1.8T, ergo 502/504. T6 from first post is a 5W-40 is a 5W-40. If you drive the car many many many years and know it inside out, and you are sensitive driver, you can "discern" such differences between 504 0W-30 and... PeakLife. If you sensitive.

But never for example between any 5W-30 and 15.3. Nor compared to other 40 oils. That cSt, Zentistokes (mm²/s). Not Hektostokes
smirk2.gif

If you self can already feel 2.3 cst, whats with the turbo and viskos on 104°F? Are the turbo jammed, up to 167°F?
56.gif

Last edited:
Sure, why not as you have it and plenty use it with no drama in their VWs. For me, I don't buy oil that I don't need so "on-demand purchases" when I do my changes and I only will use the VW502.00 approved oils - for me it's LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40.

This 2019 manual calls for 504 or 502.

In my 2012 I ironically have PZ Euro L 5w-30 without any VW specs. Zero doubt in my mind it exceeds VW 502, approaching 504 performance. Rotella is another lube without VW specs.

The thing is, these oils are better than random VW 502 oils, even expensive ones. Consider VW dealer Syntec 5w-40 downformulated to VW 502, it's a weak product intended to only meet a weak spec, so why put a priority a something like 502?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903

The thing is, these oils are better than random VW 502 oils, even expensive ones. Consider VW dealer Syntec 5w-40 downformulated to VW 502, it's a weak product intended to only meet a weak spec, so why put a priority a something like 502?
There are really none 502 never than from 2005?
In a narrow sense, any VAG (VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda) turbo engine need 503.01, not 502
56.gif
Oil guys in the EU give for the questions simply solution:

If you need/want allowed 502 approval, and you dont like 504 5W-30, and the oil have 502 AND also 229.5, thats your oil. 229.5 be considered as 504 with 40 grade
laugh.gif

Last edited:
This 2019 manual calls for 504 or 502.

In my 2012 I ironically have PZ Euro L 5w-30 without any VW specs. Zero doubt in my mind it exceeds VW 502, approaching 504 performance. Rotella is another lube without VW specs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903

The 2012 situation is different IMO because at least the oil you're using is still SN rated. If you don't want to run 502 after warranty, who cares, but where I stop is when the stuff isn't even approved for gasoline engines.

There are really none 502 never than from 2005?
In a narrow sense, any VAG (VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda) turbo engine need 503.01, not 502
56.gif
Oil guys in the EU give for the questions simply solution:

If you need/want allowed 502 approval, and you dont like 504 5W-30, and the oil have 502 AND also 229.5, thats your oil. 229.5 be considered as 504 with 40 grade
laugh.gif

xx-30 can have a 229.5. Your compering a full saps oil with a lowsaps oil. Once again would be better for you to speak for the country you live in ... and not speak for the whole EU since its not a country. So what country in EU do they put a 229.5 spec oil insted of a VW 504 spec oil?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back