Any reason why I should not use Syntec 10-40 in a 6.8 V-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a good oil to use in my Ford Super Duty V-10. I drained the stock oil at 300 miles and placed a mixture of five quarts of MC 5w-20 and one quart of M1 15w-50. I do not trust the 5w-20 oil for hauling loads for long periods of time in any type of heat or with long steep inclines. The motor seems to be happy pulling loads uphill for hours at a time at 3 to 4 thousand RPMs

I'm looking for a good A3/B3 oil. Any thoughts why I should not use Castrol Syntec 10W-40? Or even Syntec 5w-50 ?

Thanks,

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by drallen:
I am looking for a good oil to use in my Ford Super Duty V-10. I drained the stock oil at 300 miles and placed a mixture of five quarts of MC 5w-20 and one quart of M1 15w-50. I do not trust the 5w-20 oil for hauling loads for long periods of time in any type of heat or with long steep inclines. The motor seems to be happy pulling loads uphill for hours at a time at 3 to 4 thousand RPMs

I'm looking for a good A3/B3 oil. Any thoughts why I should not use Castrol Syntec 10W-40? Or even Syntec 5w-50 ?

Thanks,

Mark

If your really gettin' on it, I'd recommend Mobil1 10w-30 ($18.88/5qts. at Wal-Mart) with a K&N oil filter (for high flow at higher r.p.m's)

Know a few guys that have the V-10 in F-350's, 450's,and 550's, and this is what I recommend for them.

quote:

Thanks,

Mark

Why do you think that a 50 wt. oil is suitable for the bearing clearances in that engine?

quote:

Any reason why I should not use Syntec 10-40 in a 6.8 V-10

uuuuhhh, it'll give you a not so good UOA? (sorry couldn't resist)

I would use the recommended weight per the owner's manual and do a search for your engine and see what brand gives the best UOA.

My god! I'm bleeding.......
tongue.gif

Just got done changing FOUR AND ONE HALF GALLONS of ATF in the truck and replaced it with Syntec ATF. That was a $105 oil change....

Anyways...I was at Wally World and got the Syntec 10w-40 for the V10. Could not stand looking at that "dirty water" (MC 5-20 6 qts, with a qt of M1 15-50). Got a UOA sample that I am sending out to Blackstone.

The Castrol Syntec 10w-40 looked great. In a few months I'll get a UOA of the Syntec and see if Pablo is right :). I just like A3/B3 oils in my cars....CAFE standards are for engine rebuilders and tree huggers...
patriot.gif

Pedal to the metal, hear those 10 fuel injectors drain...
tongue.gif

Mark

So if I've got this right, we're looking at a nearly brand new V10. Any UOA at this point will likely not look real good through no fault of the oil weight if that is the case. Just the deal with a relatively new motor breaking in. These motors seem to take about 10,000+ miles before they are fully broken in and realize ultimate fuel economy figures.

Only one motor of this series has ever been speced with anything heavier than a xw30 - and that was in a special edition Mustang from the SVT group which came with a 5.4l V8 in it and 15w50 oil in it from the factory.

Otherwsie, there is no reason at this point to run anything heavier than an xw30 and even the xw20s are turning in good numbers on these motors.

Otherwise, if you want to be the guiniea pig using the xw40, by all means be our guest!

No reason to go with an xw50 at all, until maybe 200,000 miles. I know someone at 230,000 miles on the 4.6 now running the xw50 for oil consumption reasons, but thats after being well worn.

quote:

The Castrol Syntec 10w-40 looked great.

What looked so great about it -the bottle??

In my humble opinion-if you are going for a 40 wt either go with Delvac 1 or even a mix of 10W-30 and 15W-40 M1, or even the Schaeffer's - Again-just an opinion.

[ September 08, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back