Any reason not to use synthetic blend for 5k oci?

I only run 5k on my corolla, should I stick with full synthetic or just run semi? The only difference is the semi will be 5w while the synthetic would be 0w

I don’t think semi synthetic is going to hurt anything. I’m guessing the OCI on the vehicle is greater than 5k and probably specifies conventional oil, so semi synthetic is actually a step up…

The 5w shouldn’t be a problem in RI…

Just my $0.02

What filter should I run? I’ve been running supertech 0w20 20,000 mile oil with Fram ultra filter for 5k but it’s definitely overkill. I suppose the standard filter will work

I don’t think semi synthetic is going to hurt anything. I’m guessing the OCI on the vehicle is greater than 5k and probably specifies conventional oil, so semi synthetic is actually a step up…

The 5w shouldn’t be a problem in RI…

Just my $0.02
The oil cap says I can use either I think 09 was a transition year. So I think 5k on Dino and 10k on synthetic

I'd probably just stick with what you've been using, Supertech syn but switch to a Fram Orange can as your filter. The supertech syn ain't much more expensive than Supertech conventional/syn blend, and name brand conventional is about the same price as Supertech syn .

Id use whatever filter you want and can be comfortable with. I personally like OEM filters on my Ram and the T&C. I use motorcraft on the Jeep and Deere mower.

Just my $0.02

The only reason I can think of is that it is not a large price savings to run a blend versus full synthetic.

When Motorcraft Synthetic Blend others are +/- $2 of Supertech Full Synthetic and Quaker State Full Synthetic, why not just take the full synthetic, even for 5k intervals? Extra protection (even if marginal) for no extra money is a no brainer.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with an "overkill" filter. You could even stick with a Fram Ultra and run it for 2, 5k OCI's so you get more of your money's worth. No harm no foul there.

The only reason I can think of is that it is not a large price savings to run a blend versus full synthetic.

When Motorcraft Synthetic Blend others are +/- $2 of Supertech Full Synthetic and Quaker State Full Synthetic, why not just take the full synthetic, even for 5k intervals? Extra protection (even if marginal) for no extra money is a no brainer.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with an "overkill" filter. You could even stick with a Fram Ultra and run it for 2, 5k OCI's so you get more of your money's worth. No harm no foul there.
What extra protection would the syn oil and high end filters afford at 5,000 mile intervals? Toyotas regularly go over 350,000 miles with quick lube oil and filters. Facts tend to get in the way of marketing.

1639579623394.jpg

For a buck more, I think I'd definetly take the synthetic.

What extra protection would the syn oil and high end filters afford at 5,000 mile intervals? Toyotas regularly go over 350,000 miles with quick lube oil and filters. Facts tend to get in the way of marketing.
Better fine micron filtration (
Could be the difference between a 350,000 mile engine and a million mile engine.

What filter should I run? I’ve been running supertech 0w20 20,000 mile oil with Fram ultra filter for 5k but it’s definitely overkill. I suppose the standard filter will work
Why the 20,000 mile oil filter for 5,000 miles? What are you expecting?

Back