Any reason not to use Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-30 in my Ram 1500 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck is due for an oil change it's a 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7 engine. It has just under 71,000 miles.

I planned on using Pennzoil Platinum after reading all of the praise I have on this site but when I went to the store they only had the High Mileage version. Is there any reason not to use it and in the 5w-30 viscosity?

Thanks in advance!

Many say, "if you're not experiencing oil leaks or oil burning, don't use HM oils".
Others will say, "use it with confidence".

If Pennzoil wasn't available just grab Mobil1 or something similar, no need to use HM oil unless you have leaks or oil consumption issues.

The "HIgh Mileage" part is fine in a 5 year old vehicle, good really.
About going to a 5w30 instead of a 0w20 or 5w20 as recommended by Chrsyler- Ram, I'm not absolutely sure about whether or not it would be safe to go thicker on a vehicle with cylinder deactivation - 5.7L Hemi engine here. There is an OBDII engine code that says "P1521-INCORRECT ENGINE OIL TYPE" where, using the oil pressure, oil temperature and other vital engine inputs the PCM can determine the engine oil viscosity. Incorrect viscosity will effect the operation of the MDS by delaying cylinder activation.
As long as one never got that engine alert "check engine" light on the dashboard, then it should be fine. The engine will tell you!

A 5w30 is not that much thicker, only a small increment thicker, than 5w20. ...... kv100 goes from about 8 to about 10 in going from a "20" to a "30" grade, so not a big deal probably. .....
If it was me, I might try any 5w30 synthetic, and see if the OBDII P1521 code happened. If it doesn't, its fine.

I have been running M1 high mile 5W30 and Valvoline Full syn with Maxlife technology and Magnetech.in my 2015 F150 Ecoboost 2.7 since the second oil change.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Many say, "if you're not experiencing oil leaks or oil burning, don't use HM oils".
Others will say, "use it with confidence".

There's one more:
HM oils will preserve rubber seals by keeping them well conditioned like new.
grin2.gif

Can't imagine it hurting anything. I'm getting ready to use PPHM 5-30 in a 14 year old Explorer V6 w/ 169,000 miles and no leaks. Figure the worst it will do is clean out the engine so much, that it will need another change sooner than normal.

New car, old car... it doesn't make a difference anymore. The HM oils are mostly SN, SN Plus and many are even Resource Conserving GF-5. If they meet the spec(s) for your vehicle, it is 100% fine to use.

Originally Posted by FarmingdalesFine
My truck is due for an oil change it's a 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7 engine. It has just under 71,000 miles.

I planned on using Pennzoil Platinum after reading all of the praise I have on this site but when I went to the store they only had the High Mileage version. Is there any reason not to use it and in the 5w-30 viscosity?

Thanks in advance!

So you purchased it - then asked us if it was OK?

.... or....
.... you did the correct thing and not-yet purchased it - then visited BITOG on the internet to ask our opinion.

Which one did you do?

Honestly, my Colorado at 110K did not consume oil - did not have a leak. Then I purchased six quarts of Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic and used 1-1/2 quarts in a 6K OCI. My engine was clean b/4 the Maxlife. So I wasn't dealing with a semi-dirty engine.

To be honest Part 2, don't try to fix something that ain't broke. Take the HM oil back to the store and go buy exactly what you first went to get..... Pennzoil Platinum (without) HM.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Thanks in advance!

So you purchased it - then asked us if it was OK?

.... or....
.... you did the correct thing and not-yet purchased it - then visited BITOG on the internet to ask our opinion.

Which one did you do?

Honestly, my Colorado at 110K did not consume oil - did not have a leak. Then I purchased six quarts of Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic and used 1-1/2 quarts in a 6K OCI. My engine was clean b/4 the Maxlife. So I wasn't dealing with a semi-dirty engine.

To be honest Part 2, don't try to fix something that ain't broke. Take the HM oil back to the store and go buy exactly what you first went to get..... Pennzoil Platinum (without) HM.

It's fine to use HM oil if it caused any issues to the deals it would not obtain API certification.

Thanks in advance!

5W30 is fine unless it get to -20F then you might get the incorrect grade code I used 5W30 for 2 years with my Ram 1500 with no issues at all.

There's one more:

Exactly. Waiting to have seals and gaskets fail to start taking care of them is a little, ah, "not optimal."

Originally Posted by Oro_O
There's one more:

Exactly. Waiting to have seals and gaskets fail to start taking care of them is a little, ah, "not optimal."

I've always felt the same way. And as Dave' mentioned above, they wouldn't have the latest certs if these oils did damage to the vehicle's' seals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Oro_O
There's one more:

I've always felt the same way. And as Dave' mentioned above, they wouldn't have the latest certs if these oils did damage to the vehicle's' seals.

This is my belief now too. I run a good HM from the first oil change on all my vehicles now. It doesn't cost much, if any, more and hasn't hurt a thing. UOA's have all been good. Have been using Pennzoil and Valvoline full syn HM's. I plan to try SuperTech full syn HM for a while on my next OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back