Any reason not to use Hyundai filter on a Mitsubishi?

I have some Hyundai filters sitting around from when I had my Sonata. I needed to change the oil in my wife’s Mitsubishi and I was seeing which one of the local parts houses had the best deal. There was no way I was going to Walmart with the Christmas crowds, the traffic is backed up just turning into the parking lot.

Well I was on Oreillys website and I realized they have detailed specs on their filters. Well one Thing lead to another and I realized both filters are M20-1.5. So I used the Hyundai filter. Seems fine. Car runs great.

Thread size only means it physically fits your filter mount, nothing else. Says nothing about the flow characteristics such as a drain back valve, burst pressure, flow rate, etc.
so would you use a motorcraft on a hyundai?

As long as their is clearance for the slightly wider and taller oil filter it should be ok ie gasket is still on the mating surface etc.

if you want more than my assurance here is the filter cross references.

mitsu filter spec wix 57356

mitsu filter spec.JPG

Sonata filter spec wix 51334

sonatafilterspec.JPG

Last edited:
I've often wondered if my Hyundai filters (9688 sized) could be used on my Mazda's which have the same thread size....The gaskets on the Fram PH3593 and PH9688 seems identical to the 6607 spec'd for our Mazda...Has anybody ran one of these Hyundai filters on a Mazda w/o issues?

Last edited:
If it'll fit generally the fram 6607,7317,9688, and 3593A are interchangeable. the later two are the larger around Hyundai\Kia filter the others are the smaller around filters that fit other Asian vehicles.

so would you use a motorcraft on a hyundai?
While it's probably OK, there is something weird about using another car manufacturer's parts on a different make of car. I'd use an aftermarket Fram or Purolator before doing that, but since they are both $5 and equally easy to get, why not get a Hyundai filter?

The machined mating surface is pretty wide on these motors. The Hyundai filter is actually closer to the middle of the mating surface. The stock spec filter is right on the inside of the mating surface.

One advantage of the Hyundai filter: it has a silicon ADBV whereas the Mitsubishi filter and most aftermarket options are nitrile.

Drove it around some, this seems to be working fine. No unusual noises, or really anything of note.

I interchange 6607, 7317, 9688 and 3593a sized filters all the time with no issues on multiple vehicles they fit on.
They all have the same thread and the gasket is will within spec of each other.

Only issue is some vehicles do not have the clearance for the larger 9688 and 3593a sized filters so those only get 6607/7317.

Most OEM filters are about the same as far as efficiency goes.
All Fram spin on filters have silicon ADBVs.
My Mazda is now wearing a UG 7317. Fits fine and more media makes up
for the very slight resistance of better filtration.

My 2¢

While it's probably OK, there is something weird about using another car manufacturer's parts on a different make of car. I'd use an aftermarket Fram or Purolator before doing that, but since they are both $5 and equally easy to get, why not get a Hyundai filter?

Yes, but No! I guess I'm going to date myself here, not what your thinking wise guys!

When Hyundai's first came to America, They did in fact have Mitsubishi engines! Also, Mitsubishi sold a version of the Excel, I think it may have been called Mitsubishi Precis, Preice, IDK? 1986 or so, Something like that, I painted a bunch of them useless POS's

Some Japanese automakers were heavily involved with their Korean counterparts, so common oil filters aren't a big surprise. In addition to Mitsubishi/Hyundai, there was Mazda/Kia. The Ford Festiva was a Mazda 121 built by Kia. (Many years later Hyundai took over Kia.) You'll probably find Mazda filters work fine on some older Kia engines.

If it cross references you'll be fine. I bought my 300ZX from a Chevrolet dealership and it had an AC Delco filter on it.

My thoughts are that using ANY aftermarket filter is "weird" rather than using manufacturers parts counter pieces.
Then I came to realized that most parts counter pieces ("o.e"service parts) are contracted from regional manufacturers and are not to OEM quality. My last few new fords did not come from the factory with Motorcraft filters, just some generic looking white can with FORD painted on it in black letters, Looked like a premium Champion unit. Then our Japanese built Subaru's came with the perfect Tokyo Roki, but the dealer service parts just sells blue Fram cans.
If I had a Mazda I'd be using the Tokyo Roki Mazda unit. But If the Korean mitsu unit fits, Try it. Most all Japanese engines use the same thread and gasket I.D./O.D. dimension - with the exception of toyota.
You engine will tell you if it doesn't like it. Frun the biggest quality piece that fits.
I would just try to not have a crazy 27psig delta bypass on a 9-14 spec. vice versa on Turbo. applications. Biggest issue I've had with cars is bad gasoline and filters acting up - the reason I joined this forum,
- Ken

Back