Any reason not to use Dexcool in '95 Olds 88?

Tempting. How can that be good for 5 years 150,000 miles when the traditional green specs were something like 2-3 years 24-36K miles?
Probably the Latest & Greatest Green Formula. You could always contact Zerex and ask them .

Probably the Latest & Greatest Green Formula. You could always contact Zerex and ask them .
Now I see, and it's a bit misleading. From the Valvoline website,
  • 5 YEAR/150,000 MILE GUARANTEE protects against engine failure caused by freeze-ups or boil-overs
So it's not that it's a long life coolant that will last 5 years 150,000 miles between changes, it's just that it guarantees engine failure caused by freeze-ups or boil-overs, which if you keep the correct concentration, will never happen. That's kind of like their 200,000 mile engine oil guaranty. Wonder if they paid a single claim on it.

You started a Thread about this 4 Months ago, and then started another 1 today, Hello Car54

What is ironic is that I posted in your other Thread.

I used Pentofrost A2 in a '92 88 to get the appropriate green color in a long life coolant. After some research I found it to be the only long life full strength coolant made at the time, but it was spec'd for Hyundai/Kia. Wonder if that car has any coolant related issues now. What color is Peak 10x?

View attachment 115705

Peak 10x is yellow. Most universal coolants, including 10x, are yellow because they are specifically designed to not change the color of existing coolant you have, if you were to mix it with something else.

You started a Thread about this 4 Months ago, and then started another 1 today, Hello Car54

What is ironic is that I posted in your other Thread.
Yes I forgot about that. And in 4 months I'll probably ask a similar question all over again. :ROFLMAO:

Now I see, and it's a bit misleading. From the Valvoline website,
  • 5 YEAR/150,000 MILE GUARANTEE protects against engine failure caused by freeze-ups or boil-overs
So it's not that it's a long life coolant that will last 5 years 150,000 miles between changes, it's just that it guarantees engine failure caused by freeze-ups or boil-overs, which if you keep the correct concentration, will never happen.
Ok.......what do the other Coolant manufactures 5 year guarantee protect against ?

Ok.......what do the other Coolant manufactures 5 year guarantee protect against ?
Not sure but GM cars in the last 10 or 15 years have a 5 year 150K coolant change interval. And from the AC Delco website on Dexcool,

FEATURES & BENEFITS​

• Specially formulated optimum service intervals, the coolant can last up to 5 years or 150,000 miles.
From the Peak website
  • Guaranteed service life protection of up to 150,000 miles or 5 years

Interesting Forum here, if you cannot help someone else out, then just help yourself!
If you don't like it, read on. I haven't read anything interesting from you on this.

In case it's above your head, Dexcool played a part in the failure of the plastic intake gaskets.

Go police someone else!

Last edited:
I'll be using coolant that was suggested, not the old style green and not the Dexcool. Just flushed the old green stuff out after maybe 10 or 12 drain, refill and idle cycles. I removed the thermostat so at least I wouldn't have to drive it in between. Radiator looks like new inside.

Radiator super clean.JPG

Also replaced the 195°F thermostat with a 180. Gauge stays in a more comfortable looking range now, compared to pointing just above 200 before.

IMG_20220907_114717614.jpg

If you don't like it, read on. I haven't read anything interesting from you on this.

In case it's above your head, Dexcool played a part in the failure of the plastic intake gaskets.

Go police someone else!

You might want to watch this Video and see what this Mechanic has to say. If you think you missed something, then watch it again.

Back