Any reason not to use Dexcool in '95 Olds 88?

59,000 miles that has been sitting the last 10 years and I just got it running driving. It had green coolant now but will be doing a mega flush so I can use any coolant for the refill. Any reason not to use Dexcool like I did on the '95 Buick Skylark with similar V6 architecture?

You could... but why not use the yellow/light green long life, all makes all models stuff?

It is about as universal, as cheap, and as available as it gets. I even use it in the motorcycles.

It had green coolant now but will be doing a mega flush so I can use any coolant for the refill.
Just because you flush it.... doesn't mean you can use any coolant for the refill. Zerex makes a 5 yr - 100k green coolant

95-96 was the changeover year so some did.
Did this car originally come with Dexcool?
95-96 was the changeover year so some did.

Just because you flush it.... doesn't mean you can use any coolant for the refill. Zerex makes a 5 yr - 100k green coolant
What changes were made between 95 and 96 such that only one can use Dexcool?

Why do you want to use Dexcool ?
Is it because it's what you have on hand and have no Green ?

Is this a car you are going to resell? If that is the case, then stick with the green stuff and make sure you use Distilled Water.

I personally hate Dexacool, probably more my Dads fault and not mine. This 5 year or 150K stuff is nonsense, which is an issue when your parents put few miles on a vehicle. My Moms now my dads 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo needed a water pump in 2005, forget the mileage, well I told my Dad in 2003 to change the coolant, he said it is 5 years or 150K, when you give someone a choice they will take the easy way out. Well the Water pump started leaking at year number 6, oh the lower intake manifold was changed under warranty, in 99 or so.

Well they changed the Water Pump and probably never flushed anything out. In 2014 the overflow tank looked like Chocolate Milk, so did everything inside the Radiator. Nice warm day I take the lower radiator hose off and drain the coolant, I then take the thermostat out which looked ok. I start the car up and take the upper radiator hose off and put an old hose on and aim it towards a bucket. I ended up filling a 5 gallon bucket before everything was clear, so that is 20 quarts of water, and it was distilled water. Now this system hold 13 quarts of fluid.

Now some of you might be asking why did I not just use a garden hose, well hard water can cause issues, at least that is what I have been told. This car still has the original radiator.

Because it's better than conventional green and is what the later models use.
No advantage using Dexcool plus the Zerex is a Concentrate so you get 2x the amount for the $20. Both are good for 5yrs/150k Miles

Zerex Green is good for 5yrs/150k miles >>>>>> https://www.amazon.com/Zerex-Origin...ive&sprefix=zerex+green,automotive,108&sr=1-3

GM Dexcool is good for 5 yrs/150k miles >>>>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IG2IZD...utomotive&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy

because it wasn't designed for Dexcool :sneaky:

Use Peak 10x
I used Pentofrost A2 in a '92 88 to get the appropriate green color in a long life coolant. After some research I found it to be the only long life full strength coolant made at the time, but it was spec'd for Hyundai/Kia. Wonder if that car has any coolant related issues now. What color is Peak 10x?

119.JPG

Not sure why if I'm going to resell matters, I will use the best product available either way.

If you read what I wrote you will see that what is advertised as the best is not the best or what you think is the best. I know people who have changed the green stuff every 2 years with distilled water and not had any problems. I have never heard of the green stuff turn the coolant to mud. Changing to different coolant can only lead to problems, changing to different oils is fine.

I seem to recall that you have asked this before, must be my Imagination!

Back