Any Plumbers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK quick question for the plumbers out there. I have a shower stem that I need to replace the washer on. BUT I cannot get the handle off the stem. I took off the phillips screw and for the life of me I cannot get the handle off. Should I try heat? Lube? What do you guys do?
I figure I could always cut off the then and get a new stem and handle, but I really just want to replace the washer.

Give it a couple taps with a hammer and then put a flat blade screwdriver behind it and give it a little twist..

I'm unsure why you need to remove the handle from the stem.
54.gif
Now if the stem was leaking, then you would want to stuff some teflon in there and would probably need to remove the packing nut.

As you can see here, the handle need not be removed to service the valve seat (washer).

20021001_Ask_Handyman_page004img002.jpg

as opposed to this:

a_199_1_1.gif

There is often a "trick" to getting them out-I fought with the Delta Monitors in our previous house a few times.

Have you checked the manufacturers website for instructions? Does the cartridge come out as a complete unit?

Shower valves are a lot different than the pictures Gary posted.

He said it had a stem. If it does, then it should have all the features that the illustrated valves have. If he's got one that you're describing, then he really shouldn't have a "washer" to replace. He'd be replacing some ball like thingie.

I think he's got some facade that can't be removed with the handle in place.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
OK quick question for the plumbers out there. I have a shower stem that I need to replace the washer on. BUT I cannot get the handle off the stem.

I went through the same thing recently. The shower handle was stuck really good on the stem due to corroded splines. I used a makeshift lever to carefully pry between the tiles and the handle. That way the handle came off easily.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
He said it had a stem.

He didn't he say it had that type wheel on it that you are showing in the picture you posted. There's probably a hollow knob that covers the stem.

surely so. It should, however, have all the same features.

I really should have posted a disclaimer: For demonstration of valve stem construction only. Your valve handle will probably look different.

You'll note that the handle isn't an issue to servicing the valve. He must need to remove the handle to access the the packing nut or the bonnet.

For example:

Here you have to remove the handle to get the fascia piece off to get to either nut/hex

tns_b2865-4.gif

I have the second stem pictured. The one thats being wrapped in tape. The handle won't budge off those splines. I know its a Sayco valve, because I successfully replaced the Hot water one 3 years ago. The handle needs to come off in order to get a wrench on the valve after the chrome sleeve is removed. Home Depot and Lowes still sell the Sayco valves. I think I may just dremel cut the handle off and replace the valve and handle.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You'll note that the handle isn't an issue to servicing the valve.

It is an issue if you just can't get to the valve without removing the handle.

A small gear puller might work. There are also actual shower handle pullers:

1o6a1d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back