Any plumbers here? How to stop this from leaking?

Nailed it.
But is the root cause putting a seal where it’s not applicable ? - see the kit I posted …
The seals are for the ends - not the middle …That’s why you do that one 1st … it self aligns …
I have done many in that sequence …

But is the root cause putting a seal where it’s not applicable ? - see the kit I posted …
The seals are for the ends - not the middle …That’s why you do that one 1st … it self aligns …
I have done many in that sequence …
OK True, but that would just be wrong assembly. And yes could be the main cause.

How's this: Assuming the pipes are assembled correctly, the leak is caused by misalignment - which is more critical with the more rigid pipe interface.

AGREE HERE. There is no added seal at that joint. BUT clean smooth and alignment are important/critical.
Sure - they align hand tight when the rest is passive which is why you do it in order - to me that union is for 360° orientation - then the slip joint I do next is the harder to see/reach (depending how much other stuff is in the way) …

BTW: They even do that as a union on brass P traps …

Sure - they align hand tight when the rest is passive which is why you do it in order - to me that union is for 360° orientation - then the slip joint I do next is the harder to see/reach (depending how much other stuff is in the way) …

BTW: They even do that as a union on brass P traps …
Seems like the plastic is more subject to distortion when stressed or overtightened. I've had a couple wrestle with me a bit. One I just got new parts and it worked fine.

A couple times in existing houses I just started all over from wall to sink as the previous idiot just didn't have jack aligned/plumbed proper

I don't recommend those accordion pipe traps, but at least they don't leak in some really tight/weird alignment situations.

Seems like the plastic is more subject to distortion when stressed or overtightened. I've had a couple wrestle with me a bit. One I just got new parts and it worked fine.

A couple times in existing houses I just started all over from wall to sink as the previous idiot just didn't have jack aligned/plumbed proper

I don't recommend those accordion pipe traps, but at least they don't leak in some really tight/weird alignment situations.
Yup - for slightly more - I just go to the plumbers shop where he sells a good supply - even the plastic stuff is stout when bought there - also grabbed a solid brass faucet for the outdoor sink - freeze got the plastic junk even bled off and open

All traps are accessible. Even the ones for the upstairs tubs. I don't use plastic. I use 1 1/2" PVC connected with 'No Hub' connections, These are a short piece of rubber hose with regular stainless hose clamps.

Thanks for all the replies.

Update on this is I was able to stop the leak. Too many quotes here but the pic may have given a bad angle on the pipes.

The pipes were straight, but I went back to the clear gasket, cleaned up all the mating surfaces, and used the soap trick. I've never used the soap before, but figured why not for added benefits. I did like the fact it would keep the gasket from getting pinched or deformed.

I didn't install that elbow, our contractors did, and started leaking a month after they finished.

I also went back and did start with the junction that leaked to ensure it was aligned.

As far as not using a gasket....I didn't try. If that does not need a gasket, I'm not going against proper procedures and say it would leak....I just have never used one without a gasket or seal in that location.

Like the seals go on slip joints (slick tubes) and that’s a union (ball & seat) …View attachment 129020
As you can see in this photo, the inlet to the trap does not use a gasket but is preformed. The trap outlet uses a gasket. A leak proof seal should be achieved with hand tightening, but channel locks can be used if more tightening is required. If leak persists, use a new gasket. I keep a few gaskets of several sizes on hand.

Back