Any plumbers here? How to stop this from leaking?

This is the trap as it leaves the disposal in my kitchen. It uses the red thin rubber seal and this shouldn't be rocket science.

I've always used the somewhat clear wedge shaped gaskets but I can't get this to stop dripping.

This is a standard PVC elbow correct? Same in millions of homes?

Pipes are straight, no cracks. Never had this issue before...however, this is the 1st time I've used the red gaskets.

What's the secret?

20221202_171954.jpg

I'd go back to the wedge-shaped seal. Consider replacing all of the trap with new pieces. You can buy the kit with 2 nuts, the elbow, and maybe the vertical pipe for less than $15 just in case there's a hairline crack that's not visible or obvious.

Last edited:
Use the wedge gaskets it should have come with. Don't cross thread or overtighten
That’s what have come with the J traps I’ve bought from lowes. If someone has had it apart it could have fallen out. The two pieces that are being adjoined need to line up straight or it will leak no matter what you try.

Make it so there is no stress on the joints. If the garbage disposal is pushing on the joint, it can cause it to not seal.

This, notice the correct gaskets in first pic. Other types shown are not good.

Forget about tape.

there is a video for this trap. if its a sliding in or out it will use a seal. for that part that is pictured, there is no seal. even the video shows no seal

Seal might not be sealing. If it was me, I'll go to Lowe's, Home Depot and look for a replacement

It probably is a polypropylene trap..not pvc. Just get it dry then slobber in some pipe dope on everything, tighten and clean off excess. I have in a pinch used pvc cement. It wont actually stick to the PP but it wont leak either.

Sometimes they just get worn and need replaced. Had that problem in a rental house of mine under the kitchen sink. Ended up replacing all the piping with new and no issues for months. The old piping was years old and had probably been removed one too many times and just wouldn't seal properly anymore.

A new p trap kit is like $4-7 bucks? I'd just replace it. Could be worn, chipped, over-tightened and cracked, gasket warped etc.

I would at least watch the video and give it a shot. If it is still leaking, replace it. I worked on one of those for most of a Saturday once before deciding to replace everything under the sink. I was done in no time after returning with the new parts.

I've had a similar leak that the new seal just didn't work well without replacing the trap & elbow also...IDKY!
This is what worked for me. You may need to change parts.

Back