Any other experience with Castrol syntec 5w20??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

this is a bit redundant, I know there was just a thread on this, but seeing how Syntec isnt terribly popular on here, its hard to find a lof of UOA's and oppinions.

The reason I'm asking, is the local Costco has syntec cases of 12 for $48 in Canadian dollars. this is by far the cheapest you can find synthetic locally. Its FAR cheaper than I was paying for Amsoil XL.

Anybody using it mind chiming in? Its going in my wifes mazda 3 for probably 4-5K mile runs.

I cant find any info on TBN for their 5w20, but I know its slightly thicker than Mobil 1 5w20.

any thoughts, to make me feel better before I buy a Costco sized supply? LOL.

Yeah probably just being parranoid. Its just been years since Ive used syntec. But at just over $4 a litre, its REALLY hard to pass up.......aside from their military shopping method, I'm starting to dig this Costco thing.

I would think that oil would be fine for at least a 6K run. My problem with Syntec was never about the product but rather about the cost vs. its competition. At $4 a quart it competes with the 5 qt. jugs at Walmart.

Good stuff guys, thanks,

Yeah, I was looking at a few others, but I'm already buying their GTX for the Jeep at about $2.50 a liter so this was a logical step.

I'll report back, when I dump it in. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Ryan

The Syntec 5W20 is a good oil, I ran it in a Camry and an LS for around 60-70K each before I switched them to Mobil 1. Worked very well for me @ 5K changes. $4 a quart is a great price on any Synthetic...

I purchased Castrol 5w20 when Checkers had it on a crazy sale about 6 months ago. I think I paid $25 for five quarts and a premium filter.

I currently have it in my Daughter's Toyota Yaris and the car seems to really like it from a smoothness, feel of power and gas mileage perspective. We do 5k OCI's, so we won't be pushing this oil at all.

I was a big Castrol fan for years.Then I quit them.When the Synthetic issue was taken to court by Castrol(wording) and I found out I felt lied to by Castrol.I had been wondering how their SYNTHETIC was HALF the bucks what others REAL syntheic cost.Never used them again.Then this past year I inquired about their NEW Synthetic ATF.Same deal over half what Amsoil syntheic cost.I asked HOW? They were rude and liked using the word "proprietary" a lot.They hid behind it.That feeling of distrust came right back. Others were open and up front about their product.

Yeah, for the longest time, I hesitated using them, because of their antics and their STUPID advertising. But you cant argue with the oil, and at this price, I couldnt say know.

Good to hear you guys have had some decent results. I figured it would get more info for Syntec out there as well, for my fellow BITOG'er with a costco near them.

I did however get bored at work (like most days) and check out some of their older ads from a few years back on youtube. They had some really cool advertising. Commercials I'd forgotten about, because of the idiots with oil all over their faces, and two annonomous cars running top speed on dynos, running mystery oil until one explodes.......at $4 a litre, I'll forgive them for not firing their entire marketing department.

I'd stock up on it at that price, and wouldn't hesitate to run it for at least 6-7 thousand miles. Castrol makes good stuff!

Originally Posted By: Alex38
I'd stock up on it at that price, and wouldn't hesitate to run it for at least 6-7 thousand miles. Castrol makes good stuff!
Careful now, are you actually thinking with your dipstick???

You absolutely SURE about the price on that Syntec? You sure its not for a 6-litre case instead of 12?

I just recently renewed my Costco membership. I was last in the store probably over a year ago, and at THAT time, the were selling Syntec 5W-30 6-litre cases for $36. Formula Shell was $27 for 12-litre cases, and GTX was about $33 for 12-litre cases.

I don't think they'd be selling Syntec for $4/litre. Your $48 price makes sense for a 6-pack; $8/litre.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Alex38
Careful now, are you actually thinking with your dipstick???

Though I'm Scottish, I don't care for their ads either. I do like most of their oils though.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You absolutely SURE about the price on that Syntec? You sure its not for a 6-litre case instead of 12?

I just recently renewed my Costco membership. I was last in the store probably over a year ago, and at THAT time, the were selling Syntec 5W-30 6-litre cases for $36. Formula Shell was $27 for 12-litre cases, and GTX was about $33 for 12-litre cases.

I don't think they'd be selling Syntec for $4/litre. Your $48 price makes sense for a 6-pack; $8/litre.

Thats what it is at my Costco too...Syntec is 6 per case
cheers3.gif

hmmm,

maybe I messed that one up, and didnt look closely enough.

The GTX is still a STEAL and a half. I'll double check....heck even at $8 a Litre, its still not bad. M1 in 5w20 is almost $10, and amsoil XL is $10.99. Id run them all about the same length as well. We'll see.

Would PP be so big here if it were priced the same as M1? The reason not many people like it is because they have the nerve to charge the same price as M1 for a known grp III. If you can get it for cheaper than PP then go for it. I used it and didn't mind it until it got down to -30C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back