Any opinions on synthetic with Bosch filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i currently use mobil 1 5w-30 full syn with a mobil 1 oil filter in my 2009 versa. I am debating on switching over to Pennzoil platinum synthetic 5W30, and was looking for a good filter for 6k OCI. I havent heard/read anything about bosch filters, wondering if I should go with those ($7) or if there is some other filter in the same price range.
Thanks for the input!

Bosch are excellent oil filters - they are the same as a Purolator Pure One. I use them with synthetic oil on a 5.7 Hemi V8 - oil changes done every 8 months - never had a problem.

I just put PP 5-30 in my 03 Sentra with a Bosch OF and seems to run very well on it. I plan to run either Bosch or Purolator PureONE oil filters.

I tend to like the PureONE better because it has a rough coating on the outside that makes it easy to turn on or off.

Yes Bosch Premium filters are great filters and basically a Pure One.

Other great premium filters would be a Napa Gold or Carquest Blue filter.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I tend to like the PureONE better because it has a rough coating on the outside that makes it easy to turn on or off.
+1 Don't like the texture, get the Bosch, same thing, and will work fine for an extended OCI. fyi, AZ has had oil/filter combo promo's with synthetic and Bosch.

That's what I'm running in the Malibu right now....4qts of Syntec, 1/2 qt of Synpower (the Syntec was the 1-gallon Meijer-special bottle and the Malibu takes 4.5 qts) and a Bosch filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
+1 Don't like the texture, get the Bosch

Why don't you like the texture? Do you prefer to use an oil filter wrench instead of removing it by hand?

I don't like the texture either, nor the potential for overspray. I think I've used an oil filter twice in 16 years, so I'm not sure what the texture really is supposed to do.

One trick I always used is using sandpaper - put some 60 grit around the can and twist.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Originally Posted By: sayjac
+1 Don't like the texture, get the Bosch

Why don't you like the texture? Do you prefer to use an oil filter wrench instead of removing it by hand?

I like it just fine! I find it very helpful for hand tightening installation. I should have put a '?' after the word texture or 'If you' before the Don't.

In addition to the Pure One, I have a stash of closeout Advance Auto Total Grip with the texture. I still generally use a cap wrench to get it started on removal because of heat expansion. But it's easier to hold on to after that. I've dropped a filter or two in the drain pan before.

Is there any data that shows the Bosch and P1 are the exact same? Figuring they are just based on company ownership doesn't work for me. Clorcal owned Purolator and Baldwin, they were nowhere similar.

I'm not a fan of the new coating of the P1 and would gladely switch if there is truth to it.

Last edited:
Purolator has changed hands several times in the last 10 years. Clarcor makes Baldwin oil filters. I don't think they ever made Purolator automotive oil filters. They are selling industrial filters under the Purolator name.

Originally Posted By: versaguy
Hi, i currently use mobil 1 5w-30 full syn with a mobil 1 oil filter in my 2009 versa. I am debating on switching over to Pennzoil platinum synthetic 5W30, and was looking for a good filter for 6k OCI. I havent heard/read anything about bosch filters, wondering if I should go with those ($7) or if there is some other filter in the same price range.
Thanks for the input!

Versaguy,

Bosch Filters is definitely a good choice, I also have a 6k OCI and my bosch filter is holding up with no problem. Its a good investment and the price is reasonable.

Regards,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back