Any one notice better mpg with GC??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed when I switched to GC,my fuel Millage went up around 1-1.5 mpg more? Any one else notice this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
No but I noticed a statistical gain of about .8-1.0 mpg going from Mobil 1 5W30 to Mobil 1 5W-30 EP.

So the ep does it for yours huh?

On my work Ford Explorers 4.0L SOHC which are spec'd for 5W-30, I noticed a decrease in mileage....compared to virtually every 5W-30 synthetic as well as a few blends.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
On my work Ford Explorers 4.0L SOHC which are spec'd for 5W-30, I noticed a decrease in mileage....

Same here. GC definitely does not have fuel economy in mind.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
On my work Ford Explorers 4.0L SOHC which are spec'd for 5W-30, I noticed a decrease in mileage....

Same here. GC definitely does not have fuel economy in mind.

Well then that settles it!! I knew my car was GOOFY!

Hey Lexus, on a separate note, I just chged my PCV on my '98 Sienna (essentially same engine as yours I think) - pretty sure it's the first time to be chged in 160k mi. (bought the car at 62k, and the prev. maint. notes were just oil chges). Anyway, the prev. guy did 3-4k OCIs, I then did 80k on M1 (up to 9k OCIs), then a mix of Schaeffers and others in the last 20k - and... the PCV was still in great shape. Just a bit of moist deposits on the outside of the intake. Otherwise whistle dixie thru it.

Also, GC has a high HT/HS (making it A3) - which is indirectly prop. to mpg.

Also, I got my best mpg ever on my Sienna - of 26mpg on Schaeffers 15w40. However I only did one mpg reading on the Sch. - but I'd never seen the mpg anywhere near that before (lots of other readings on 5w30 at ~24mpg best case). Maybe they like a thicker oil - but I think they are more responsive with a thin oil - so ??

I somehow managed 1-1.5mpg better mileage when going from M1 5w-30 to ACD straight 30. It makes no sense but it was the exact same 4 hour freeway drive week after week and it was repeatable with every trip. That's probably in the thicker oil's favor since warmup was a very small percentage of the total run time.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Hey Lexus, on a separate note, I just chged my PCV on my '98 Sienna (essentially same engine as yours I think) - pretty sure it's the first time to be chged in 160k mi. (bought the car at 62k, and the prev. maint. notes were just oil chges). Anyway, the prev. guy did 3-4k OCIs, I then did 80k on M1 (up to 9k OCIs), then a mix of Schaeffers and others in the last 20k - and... the PCV was still in great shape. Just a bit of moist deposits on the outside of the intake. Otherwise whistle dixie thru it.

Also, GC has a high HT/HS (making it A3) - which is indirectly prop. to mpg.

Also, I got my best mpg ever on my Sienna - of 26mpg on Schaeffers 15w40. However I only did one mpg reading on the Sch. - but I'd never seen the mpg anywhere near that before (lots of other readings on 5w30 at ~24mpg best case). Maybe they like a thicker oil - but I think they are more responsive with a thin oil - so ??

Yeah I think your engine is the same as mine,the best millage I ever got so far was 24mpg coming back from the Jersey Shore last year.We got 22 going down,and 24 coming back.(W/GC and premium fuel.)

See the thread I just started in this sub-forum. I'm apparently getting massively better mileage on PP than I did with GC. But in all fairness to the "green," the PP I'm using is ~8.5 cSt 0w-20 PP, and of course, GC is a 12+ cSt oil...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I noticed when I switched to GC,my fuel Millage went up around 1-1.5 mpg more? Any one else notice this?

What did you switch from, some crasy Euro 25W-60?
crackmeup2.gif

Zee Oil is not exactly the golden child for the Thin-is-In crowd, as you likely know it's nearly a 40W, particularly in the HTHS department.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Originally Posted By: lexus114

What did you switch from, some crasy Euro 25W-60?
crackmeup2.gif

Zee Oil is not exactly the golden child for the Thin-is-In crowd, as you likely know it's nearly a 40W, particularly in the HTHS department.

Switched from PP

I noticed 1 to 1.5 mpg better when I went from dealer fill to M1 5-20 in my 02 V6 Honda.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I noticed 1 to 1.5 mpg better when I went from dealer fill to M1 5-20 in my 02 V6 Honda.

Thats good your staying with 5W-20 in that baby.Honda`s definitely like/run better on thinner oil.

Mine seems to like PP 5-20 better than M1 5-20. PP is slighter more dense in 5-20 than the M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back