Any one a dino oil in a Sportsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father got a new Sporstman in November it calls for Synthetic. I have been using Valvoline ATV oil for the last 3 years in my Suzuki Eiger its Dino oil with no complaints. What would you do with the Polaris keep the synthetic in??

I have a letter from Shell claiming that Rotella triple protection is wet clutch safe and ok for atv's. I've been using that in all my atv's for years. Rotella T 15w-40.

Unless for some specific reason you HAVE to use synthetic, I would continue with the Valvoline ATV, or switch to Rotella.

you don't need that crazy priced MC oil Rotella 15w40 will do fine or M1's 10w40HM or 15w50,lots of good oils out there that work in wet clutch applications,try a search.

i run M1's 15w50 silvercap in my yamaha warrior,it loves the stuff. i like a syn in that because it runs so [censored] hot.

Polaris doesn't use a wet clutch. It is belt drive. Rotella may be a fine oil and I have used it in motorcycles with good results, but Polaris calls for a 0W40 which is a little different than 15W40. Depending on how much you drive you are talking a difference of $10-20 a year between synthetic and Rotella (2 quart capacity). If you can't afford that, then you shouldn't have bought the 4-wheeler in the first place. If you are really pinching pennies, I'm sure it will not hurt the engine, but a 0W40 should flow and get to the top-end quicker than 15W40, especially in cold weather.

Quote:
It is belt drive.

Quote:
no, its Chain drive

A Polaris Sportsman is not chain drive. They are a CVT Belt Drive. Unless you are talking about the 1st ones in the early 90's that were 2 stroke.

Last edited:
And even the first ones were belt drive as for the clutch. The final drive was chain drive, then later ones shaft.

Last edited:
As far as I know Polaris made 2 atvs that weren't CVT, the 325 and 425 Expeditions. They were manual shift 5 speeds and they only made them a couple years.

This Polaris Sportsman is an 08 or 09 its only a few months old. Yeah I will keep the synthetic in it. I had a 2001 expedition it was a 5 speed with no clutch. The bike was ok I like my EIGER much better.

I agree with Tmorris1, if you can afford to buy a ATV then you can afford to buy synthetic. A friend recently switched his Harley to Amsoil. It was pointed out to him that how he complained about a few extra dollars for oil but would spend a $100. for a little piece of chrome and think nothing about it. Another example, I drink Pepsi when I could buy generic cola for a lot less. Pepsi all the way!

LTH,

Another consideration for your Polaris oil choice is the visc. that is specified, 0W-40. You can only find this in a synthetic. While a 15W-40 will probably be fine for summer, I wouldn't run it up North during the winter months.

FWIW, I usually run Rotella T 5W-40 in mine.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
If you are really pinching pennies, I'm sure it will not hurt the engine, but a 0W40 should flow and get to the top-end quicker than 15W40, especially in cold weather.

He's in Louisiana, not East Polar Bear MN. He's better of with a 15W-40 than you are with a 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back