Any of you attending the 24 hours of Daytona?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if any of you oil gurus plan to attend the Rolex 24 this month? I'll be driving over with my son again and taking my 60 year old father to Daytona for his first time ever. If you're a gear head of any form I highly suggest at least seeing this spectacle once in your lifetime, it truly is an amazing show and you get so much access to the speedway for a very decent price IMO.

Last edited:
I'm over in Ocala so its a 90min ride for me but since my first time going last year, I won't miss it!

I think all access passes are like $60 and kids are free.

I will be flying in from San Antonio early Friday morning for the weekend. This will be my 5th trip in 6 years. We consider it a must do event for anyone who appreciates sports car racing. Check out IMSA.COM for all the event details. We always hang out at the Grassroots Motorsports circus tent next to Lake Lloyd. Don't miss the chance to walk around the paddock late at night, seeing what it takes to keep the cars running for 24 hours should not be missed.

You guys will have a blast. I used to go to Road Atlanta and camp out in turn 7 over the weekend with a bunch of maniacs for the SCCA Fall Run Offs, too much fun!

I spectated there in 1987, mostly to see the Corvette GTP run. It was "in the hunt" for more than half the race, but finally had engine failure.

Then I crewed on a GTU team in 1996, on the Kryderacing Nissan 240SX. They put me in charge of managing the fuel rig. It was quite the experience keeping the car running through the night. But it suffered a hole in a piston about 2 hours before the finish. We brought the car in, cleaned it up, and held it in the pits until about 5 minutes before the end of the race, then the driver did a slow lap so the team could be listed as finishing.

Originally Posted by oemjunk
That's a cool story Mr.

Yeah, another notable memory was almost getting run over by Craig T. Nelson (Coach) on a pit-bike!

I used to work for Team PTG BMW North America and still have several friends that work now for Turner Motorsports BMW. My first and only race attended was the 12 hours of Sebring which almost killed me! lol . I was the air jack guy, first over the wall on pit stops and let me tell you, setting there in that Florida heat on the tarmac for all that time dressed in full nomex layers and helmet is rough! Those guys get my utmost respect!!

I love to spectate now, my 10 year old son is a sports car nut and enjoys every minute of it! Especially since dad still knows a few people and can get him in the tents and around all the action.

This was the car I built (engines) and crewed back in 2000-2001. It was such an awesome experience as a young guy, Most notable was partying the night before with Bill Auberlen and Boris Said (two of our drivers) I was also apart of the testing for the then new 4.0L V8 which later demolished the Porsches so bad the sanctioning body had to outlaw it from Competition.

alms-petit-le-mans-2001-team-ptg-bmw-m3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back