Any members battling the snowstorm in New York?!

DE5358D3-C742-420C-9D6A-5A7256FBA9F8.jpeg

I've been at it since 8am snowblowing and shoveling and I can't keep up. Weather channel guy is in my town, East Aurora which is never a good sign. I think we have about 4ft. It's the heaviest stuff I can remember dealing with.

My main snowblower is struggling, but working. My backup I can only keep running for a few minutes. It starts stumbling, then dies. Too exhausted to mess with it.
"Now you take my wife, please take my wife."

I feel sorry for y'all.
When I lived in Wisconsin, on New Year's Day morning 1978 I opened my front door and saw this same thing (minus the refreshments). It was already -10F (on the way to -20F) and the snow had turned as hard as a rock. It took me all day to shovel a narrow path out to the street so I could get out of my house. It wasn't the last time that this happened that winter. My entire life changed right then! After the winter of 1978 I moved to Texas. I don't regret the move for one minute.

I have never had to deal with snow over 26" and drifts about 4-5 feet high. That was tough enough. I feel for you all.

I don't see how this can possibly be happening with Global Warming, (i.e. "Climate Change"), so prominent today? And here I was planning on being able to wear shorts in Fargo this January.
I agree somewhat with Bjornviken. It is what it is and maybe this time might be more due to human influences compared to past changes.

This most recent storm was mostly lake effect. Maybe the Great Lakes are a bit warmer and the cold air over the lakes literally created the perfect storm?

I simply cannot fathom dealing with 4 to 6 feet of snow, but that region is prepared to handle snow. It just takes longer. Most times, people come together during times of crises. Stay safe to all affected.

#33 post:
All sorts of names are applied to the more rapid change-in-one direction to 'climate'.
W/it we will see the hurricane intensify, the flood, the ocean hight, higher storm damage (inc fire) and yes, sno (C #24).
BUT... the ice caps will not grow, deserts will (see reduction in # glaceries on our & world-wide mt tops).

I don't see how this can possibly be happening with Global Warming, (i.e. "Climate Change"), so prominent today? And here I was planning on being able to wear shorts in Fargo this January.
Being in NE Ohio, the local Wx explains the mechanics of lake effect snow often. Lake effect snows happen when cold air masses in the atmosphere at 5-10k foot pass over the warm water of the lake. The bigger the delta T, the more moisture absorbed. Last week Lake Erie water temperatures were still in the low 50s degF. Draw a line between Toledo and Buffalo, that was pretty much the wind direction last week, so this semi-artic cold air mass passed over a couple hundred miles of open warm lake, absorbing a lot of moisture that got dumped on W NY. Warming temperatures are exactly why these types of storms occur.

Back