Any Mazda Turbo aftermarket filters Yet?

My son has a 2018 CX5 turbo. He went to a Mazda dealer recently and paid 13.00 for the mexican made "value" filter. I went to another dealer and spent 12.00, but fortunately got a regular replacement filter (made in Thailand). Last Feb. I paid 8.00 at the same dealer. None of the major aftermarket suppliers (wix, fram, etc) has introduced a turbo specific filter) and the turbo motor has been sold for at least four years now. They all spec the NA motor filter for the turbo motor. Has anyone discovered a difference between the the Mazda NA filter and the turbo filter yet? Apparently the aftermarket manufacturers don't think there is a difference. I have to assume the aftermarket would not be suggesting a filter that would not meet OEM specs or be detrimental to the motor. They naturally represent them as being equivalent or better than the stock filter. Has anyone used aftermarket filters without issues?

Wix says their 57002 is for both turbo and non-turbo applications, and it is a part unique to Mazda SkyActiv engines. They even cross reference the PY8W-14-302 part number, which is the original 2.5 turbo filter. I have no issues using one of these or the standard Microguard MGL57002 from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

I have also used the Fram XG6607 and the old Champ made Mobil 1 filter spec'd for the application (2.5 Turbo). No catastrophic failures to report.

Check some of the Mazda dealer online or ebay stores for the new Turbo filter part number, 1WPY-14-302. The zoomparts1 ebay store (Mazda dealer in AZ) has 6 for $56 (and include the drain plug washers as well).

Last edited:
the Fram XG7317 fits and works great. Better filtration and oversize to boot.
Any Fram 7317 filter will work and you can cross reference that number to a
favorite brand if you don't care for Fram for some reason.

My 2¢

The mazda part # you referenced is the one I got. I believe my son got the same number but in the value line. I'm leaning toward the Wix filter as well. I have to believe they, as well as other manufacturers, believe their filters must meet the specs for both of Mazda's filters.

I don’t understand what is so specific about the turbo filters or the Mazda filter in general. The only thing I can see that’s different on an OE filter is that it had no anti drain back valve.

The mazda part # you referenced is the one I got. I believe my son got the same number but in the value line. I'm leaning toward the Wix filter as well. I have to believe they, as well as other manufacturers, believe their filters must meet the specs for both of Mazda's filters.

What makes you believe the Wix will be better than the Value filter? They are likely coming out of the same plant in Mexico.

There are some reputable online sources as well.

What makes you believe the Wix will be better than the Value filter? They are likely coming out of the same plant in Mexico.

It's not that I believe (or said) the Wix filter is better. I would like to think it is equivalent for less cost. Mazda has raised their filter prices significantly (+/- 30% locally over a few months). While my local parts stores have raised their prices as well, it's not nearly as much. I'm retired and my shopping habits have become more along the lines of what's the "best bang for the buck" without sacrificing quality. If a non Mazda filter (whatever make) can provide equivalent protection (and at less cost) , why not consider it?

I checked out several of the on-line Mazda parts suppliers as well. Unfortunately shipping costs are killing their attractive prices. Med center Mazda wants over 10.00 per filter for shipping (with a minimal per unit reduction for quantities).

This is the best deal that i’ve seen from a reputable source (for the non MV filter):

That is one of the better deals at just over 9 bucks a filter. May have to try that one and share some of the filters with my son. Hopefully they don't substitute the value filter for the Thailand made one.

I’ve run the Wix 57002 on non-turbo Skyactiv motors in the past, but in my opinion the filter build quality has decreased substantially since the Mann+Hummel acquisition of Wix. I had some 57002 filters this past year and two of the three I ordered had some metal burs on the base and a bunch of sloppy glue on the filter media. I will say that unfortunately, it still is the only Skyactiv specific aftermarket filter option that I’m aware of (along with the NAPA variant). Although there are some cross application aftermarket filters without antidrainback valves that would “work,” the Mazda filters also have specifc bypass valve pressures that only the Wix comes close to.

For me it’s Mazda OEM all day, their Thailand made turbo specific filter (1WPY-14-302) even has a different bypass valve spec than the non-turbo Skyactiv filter. Can be had online in the $8-$10 range from ebay or MazdaParts, cheap piece of mind. Added bonus, the Mazda filters only hand-tighten until they bottom out to compress the o-ring. No guesswork or over-tightening!

45E9236C-7FAF-47A5-BA7A-81B177BED32B.jpg
I dunno if this means anything but this Beck Arnley seems to be a Mazda only filter by the part numbers

Back