Any manual trans experts can advise on urgency of input shaft bearing repair?

I have an 03 Civic EX with almost 160K. For the past 30K or so I've had what I believe is input shaft bearing noise getting slowly worse. It only makes sounds when idling in neutral with the clutch not pushed in. Otherwise, the trans works normally. All gears engage like normal, shifts are smooth, just the grinding sound when I let off the clutch pedal in neutral. Obviously, I try not to do this at all, keeping the clutch pushed in in 1st gear when at stop lights, etc. At this stage of the car's life (I'm the original owner), it gets driven 3-5k per year and is used almost exclusively for commuting to work (a 5 mile trip each way). I want it to last as long as possible, but don't want to sink a ton of money into it. Considering the low mileage it now gets, if I can get another 30k out of it, that could be 6-10 years. Do you guys think it's imperative to get this in a shop, or keep driving it til it gets worse? What is worst case scenario with a bad input shaft bearing?

Odd, are you sure its not a throw out bearing?
(though those tent to make racket/growl WHEN pressed in)

That sound may just be layshaft rattle due to age; But When did you change the trans fluid last?

Does it just take 10W30 motor oil?

My 2012 Honda Fit needed fresh trans fluid every year to work well

Regardless, Isn't it time for a new clutch and pressure plate?

It would be good to listen with a stethoscope if the sound is coming from inside the bellhousing or inside the transmission. Very often it's the release bearing.

That said, input shaft bearings are quite easy to change as far as stuff inside the transmission goes. You don't need to press gears from the input shaft to get to the bearings in my experience.

It's probably the clutch's throw-out bearing.

I don't see how the input shaft will be positively affected by pressing the clutch. If anything it would get noisier.

If and when you get in there (to replace the clutch), you might as well replace all of them.

Last edited:
The research I was doing indicated if there's a noise when the clutch is pushed in, it's the throwout bearing. If the noise occurs when not pressed in, it's the input shaft bearing:

But the relevant question is, how long can I put this off? I'm guessing this will be very pricey, and if the car will drive fine for several more years like this, then it may not be worth it to get it fixed right away.

I used to have a 2004 civic hybrid with a 5 speed trans. It had the noise you describe when I got it, and it gradually got worse until it sounded like an alien spaceship taking off in first gear. Pretty common problem with this generation civic, you need to slightly overfill the transaxle oil or this will happen. Ended up paying a local transmission shop 1800$ or so to rebuild the trans, new bearings on all shafts, and put in a new clutch. They wouldn’t do just the one failed bearing. When it was done I asked to see the old parts, and the outer race of the old input shaft bearing was pretty gnarly. Once the noise was noticeable idling in neutral, I drove about 20k miles before it sounded ready to blow.

I have ZERO knowledge on the input shaft bearing on a CIVIC. I agree with the others, have someone who is knowledgeable check it out.

I will say this, totally different set up I put a used MT in a Volvo 240 (4sp with OD, RWD hahaha) - turns out that sucker had a noisy input shaft bearing. The sound never changed for 100K+ miles, just a whirring bearing noise......I didn't want to drop the tranny to replace it. Never failed.

he sound never changed for 100K+ miles, just a whirring bearing noise......I didn't want to drop the tranny to replace it. Never failed.
And I had a noise like that in the last manual car that I had. That noise got progressively worse.
It literally exploded during a 1-2 shift (pretty hard acceleration), throwing parts trough the side of the transmission housing. I could see in the rearview mirror the cars behind me avoiding them while they were rolling to the road. Rolled to a stop outside the road, open hood and saw trough a hole, the oil inside the transmission, smoking. It was before the era of smartphone cameras, it would be a neat picture to have.

You can't generalize...

The research I was doing indicated if there's a noise when the clutch is pushed in, it's the throwout bearing. If the noise occurs when not pressed in, it's the input shaft bearing:

But the relevant question is, how long can I put this off? I'm guessing this will be very pricey, and if the car will drive fine for several more years like this, then it may not be worth it to get it fixed right away.
Not long could go at any minute. I would baby it.
But , again I ask,
when did you last change the trans gear oil ?

Not long could go at any minute. I would baby it.
But , again I ask,
when did you last change the trans gear oil ?
I changed it last weekend, but prior to that it had been about 100k since I last changed it. I changed it at 30k and 60k, then put it off way too long before changing it last weekend at 160k. Sent a sample in to Blackstone.

Yeah, I baby it. I don't drive it hard, shift at 3000rpm and only put 3k-5k miles on it per year. No difficulties shifting, shifts like butter. Just the sound in neutral when the clutch pedal is not pushed in.

Here's the UOA for this, btw:
Thoughts?

A buddy had a noisy manual trans in his 90's Ford Probe that he ignored until it locked the front wheels at 60mph on the hwy! Probably a rare occurrence but it sure gave him a scare and he was lucky not have a bad accident.

Change the fluid. If the new lube doesn't help, then its time for a repair NOW. New bearing/seal/clutch/pplate/TObearing/clutchbearing/resurfacereplace flywheel/..

Back