Any long term reviews on Cooper Discoverer At3 4s?

The AT3 4S is a full-on Mountain Snowflake winter tire. They are made to be taken off in the spring and put on in the late fall. So is the AT/W. I suspect the AT3 4S replaces the AT/W? So, are folks running them year round and complaining they wear out? How long has this tire been out there and how did they get 30,000 miles on them unless they drove them year round? Also there are at least 3 types of Cooper AT3 tires out there.

Here is a shot of my AT/W after two winter seasons of about 5,000 miles each. By the way, the sipes are full depth whichI I confirmed with a stick pin.

View attachment 32408

Doesn't the 4S in the tire name mean "4 Seasons"?

Who ya gonna call when selecting winter truck tires. How about Canadian Tire, the largest tire retailer in snowy CANADA. The Cooper AT3 4S did very well in their “independent” testing. ;) Hope that helps.

15AAEAEA-3388-4039-8E3C-A885065E13F4.jpeg
BACCF475-0734-4890-9E53-F0D1DEB127EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Dad just stopped by the house after he went to the tire shop this morning. He did in fact get the AT3 4S tires on his truck so if I remember I will give an update after some miles. He took advantage of two mail in rebates and 6 months 0% on the Cooper card. Right at $700 after the rebates with mounting and taxes.

Attachments

• E5D2567B-EF69-4091-9CDC-C7A9683FC943.jpeg
    E5D2567B-EF69-4091-9CDC-C7A9683FC943.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 91
Have the non 4S version on my grandfather's 14' Grand Cherokee. I think about 18k miles on them and I think the tread is about 1/2 way to replacement time. We use them in the desert in harsh rocky conditions they're kind of chunking in the tread and sidewall, but not too bad. My only complaint is they're really noisy as they've aged.

Th
How many more seasons you figure you got left on those? And how's the winter performance with that little tread left?
The wear bar for this winter tire is at 8/32”. The tread is presently at 12/32”, so for sure I’ll go for this winter and see how it looks in the spring. I’d like to hear at what depth others buy new winter tires. ;)

Who ya gonna call when selecting winter truck tires. How about Canadian Tire, the largest tire retailer in snowy CANADA. The Cooper AT3 4S did very well in their “independent” testing. ;) Hope that helps.
Even down south I’m going Cooper … SRX will go on the Tahoe soon - and a fellow Jeeper took my advice on the ST Maxx … Loves them ~ and that’s likely in the Rubicon’s future (no hurry there)

Here is the wear indicator photo, along with my rock collection. :D

View attachment 33201

Thanks! I'm just curious how low is it ok to run these because I have the AT/W's as well and I'm finding the winter performance to slowly degrade even though the tread hasn't worn much. Might be due to the compound hardening over time. I do see that the sipes are starting to wear out on yours.

The AT3 4S is a full-on Mountain Snowflake winter tire. They are made to be taken off in the spring and put on in the late fall. So is the AT/W. I suspect the AT3 4S replaces the AT/W? So, are folks running them year round and complaining they wear out? How long has this tire been out there and how did they get 30,000 miles on them unless they drove them year round? Also there are at least 3 types of Cooper AT3 tires out there.

Here is a shot of my AT/W after two winter seasons of about 5,000 miles each. By the way, the sipes are full depth whichI I confirmed with a stick pin.

View attachment 32408

Do you realize the 4S stands for 4 season ? Cooper says they are for year round use,

Yes, have a look at my response to Reddy45 regarding the same question.
I still don't understand why you say they're meant to be taken off in the spring and installed in the fall.

They're an all weather tire that excels in the snow. Not a snow tire that people mistakenly use all year.

I still don't understand why you say they're meant to be taken off in the spring and installed in the fall.

They're an all weather tire that excels in the snow. Not a snow tire that people mistakenly use all year.
Winter tire, according to the winter tire test attached. In fact they were number 1. They have a mountain snowflake emblem. Cooper can call them what they want but the OP mentioned there are complaints they wear out at 30,000 miles. That’s what you get when you drive a winter tire year round.

E8CC6BA6-3A68-473B-AE5B-E836BBCD0A9D.png

Last edited:
Back