Any long range bolt gunners on the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been into long range shooting since 1999 after attending my first long range shooting class at Blackwater.

Two U.S.M.C. 2112 armorer built 1,000 yard .308 tactical rifles.
Blaser LRS2 in .300 Winchester Magnum
Armalite Super SASS

Nice collection OP. I used to shoot 1000 yard F class using a .308, 6.5x284, or 7mm WSM. I also shot my 6 mm BR to 1000 yards, but its not a good choice for that range if there's wind. I found the 6.5x284 to be a great choice for 1000 yard shooting. I've shot 30-338 Lapua to 1 mile. These threads bring back great memories!

I believe there is a 300 Norma medium machine gun
round that looks like a shortened .338 Lapua magnum.

It should make a good target/hunting round.

All you need is good ear protection and a 5 gallon bucket
to catch the used brass, and your all set to go.

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
Just wondering what everyone is working with and if your loading your own. Here's what I run.

Welcome!! Nice to see you made it over here from the hide. Loved some of your posts and pics :)

My "long range" bolt gun is my CZ527 (in .223).

Have had it out to 600 yards on targets, that's as far as I've gone with it.

I am part of the Arizona Long Range Precision Rifle Shooters club (AZLRPRS). We shoot monthly matches, and host a round of the PRS (Precision Rifle Series) national championship series each year. It's a blast!

Whenever I go visit my brother, we'll usually haul out the lid of a 55-gallon drum and beat on it from just under a mile. 1680 yards is I think what we measured it at. We could get 1760, but ~1680 is more convenient for setup locations. 308s & 6.5 Creedmoors at that range, mostly.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
I am part of the Arizona Long Range Precision Rifle Shooters club (AZLRPRS). We shoot monthly matches, and host a round of the PRS (Precision Rifle Series) national championship series each year. It's a blast!

Whenever I go visit my brother, we'll usually haul out the lid of a 55-gallon drum and beat on it from just under a mile. 1680 yards is I think what we measured it at. We could get 1760, but ~1680 is more convenient for setup locations. 308s & 6.5 Creedmoors at that range, mostly.

What are they using for optics and mounts/rail for the .308 to get it out to a mile? With my 26" barrel .308 Savage and a 8x32 Burris Scope I needed a 20 MOA rail to get me to 1000 yards. Without it I was in the dirt at about 850 yards IIRC.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a nice round!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My "long range" bolt gun is my CZ527 (in .223).

Have had it out to 600 yards on targets, that's as far as I've gone with it.
That is really really far to me!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What are they using for optics and mounts/rail for the .308 to get it out to a mile? With my 26" barrel .308 Savage and a 8x32 Burris Scope I needed a 20 MOA rail to get me to 1000 yards. Without it I was in the dirt at about 850 yards IIRC.

Neither my brother nor I have canted rails on our 308s, but I typically have Burris Signature Zee rings on it, which with the offset inserts give ~10 MOA of cant. I have switched scopes around a bit, but either the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (#800363) or the SWFA 3-15x42 have enough adjustment + reticle to aim accurately.

The club members have a lot of US Optics scopes, with a variety of others from Nightforce to Steiner and I believe I've seen a March. All manner of mounts. Few if any club members shoot the 308 in the competitions, except for amusement. Heavy 24- & 26-cals are by far the best choices, ballistically.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Neither my brother nor I have canted rails on our 308s, but I typically have Burris Signature Zee rings on it, which with the offset inserts give ~10 MOA of cant. I have switched scopes around a bit, but either the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (#800363) or the SWFA 3-15x42 have enough adjustment + reticle to aim accurately.

The club members have a lot of US Optics scopes, with a variety of others from Nightforce to Steiner and I believe I've seen a March. All manner of mounts. Few if any club members shoot the 308 in the competitions, except for amusement. Heavy 24- & 26-cals are by far the best choices, ballistically.

The .308 was pretty much shot for amusement at 1000 yards, although there were a few guys that did quite well with them. Most guys used a 20 MOA rail though. I found my 6.5x284 to do extremely well. The 7 WSM was another great round for 1000 yards, but the 6.5x284 was always my first choice.

The Burris Zee rings are a nice option, they often slip my mind. 10 MOA with my scope just wasn't enough to get the .308 out to 1K for me, and like you said there are better choices. I wish I could shoot 1K more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back