Any lever action gurus around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wanting a lever action rifle to add to my collection for quite awhile now, but don't know much about them.

Looking around, I found a slightly used Marlin 336A in 30-30 in excellent condition for 265 bucks.

I know plenty about the cartridge it shoots and I know that Marlins have their reputation staked to making quality lever actions, but does anyone own one or something similar here and how does scope mounting work on one of these?

Seems like it would make an accurate and great all around rifle.

Quote:
Looking around, I found a slightly used Marlin 336A in 30-30 in excellent condition for 265 bucks.

I'd buy that in a sec. Around here in 90% that would be a $400+ gun and sell within a day.
48.gif

I've got a Marlin 44mag and 357mag in the lever action.
thumbsup2.gif

The receiver should be drilled and tapped for #1 (i think that is the number, 2 sets of 2 holes) scope mounts (to weaver).

Both of mine are irons only. One of my 22lr is scoped and the others are iron.

The 1894 Marlin in .357 is prob one of the last guns I'd get rid of. Fun!(I know.. All firearms are!
20.gif
grin2.gif
)

I was going to get a 30-30 but liked the idea of a handgun / lever combo.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

The 1894 Marlin in .357 is prob one of the last guns I'd get rid of. Fun!(I know.. All firearms are!
20.gif
grin2.gif
)

I was going to get a 30-30 but liked the idea of a handgun / lever combo.

Take care, bill

Ive got the exat same one. Love it, and being able to shoot .38spl keeps costs down.

A buddy of mine had both a Winchester lever 30-30, and a Marlin lever 30-30.

The Winchester was a VERY old gun (no safeties) but felt a lot more "relaxed" in it's action. Very enjoyable and fun to shoot, and reasonably accurate. The Marlin was much newer, and felt that way. Also a nice gun.

Felt like Clint Eastwood unloading that Winnie..... as fast as you could flick that lever, you could fire a round. We had a blast with it.

'All around' is in the eyes of the beholder. If it's only to have fun shooting cans and some deer at shorter ranges once in awhile then a 30-30 is fine. Lever guns are fun, take down trapper models transport nicely, but Winchesters are often collectables these days.

I have two Marlin lever actions, both scoped. I have a 336 SS in 30-30 and an 1895CB in 45-70. Both are excellent guns, the former for shorter range deer and smaller animal hunting and the latter for larger game. I shot a nice black bear with the 45-70 in May in Quebec. Put him down fast. It is the single most accurate rifle in my gun safe.

I have had no problems with the Marlins. Probazbly have put 300-400 rounds through the 30-20 at the range over a five year period and I love the way it handles.Side ejection is great. They are easy to take down and clean as well. Buy that Marlin and enjoy it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to pick up the rifle.

I have heard nothing but great about Marlin's rifles and you guys just reinforced that for me. I have a Marlin bolt action, XL7 in 30-06 and I really like the gun.

I would love to have one in .357 as well to go with my Ruger SP101. That would be a great combo.

"Felt like Clint Eastwood unloading that Winnie..... as fast as you could flick that lever, you could fire a round. We had a blast with it. "Overk1ll

Just be sure to keep trigger finger well out of the way when rapid cycling! Putting the trigger through the meaty part of that trigger finger will take ALL the fun out of it!

Personally don't care for any of the newer rifles with lawyer mandated cross bolt safties. Anyone not capable of manipulating the hamer down on a loaded round really doesn't need to be armed.

Don't own either a Marlin or Winie. No particular reason, just never struck my fancy. Do own two of the finest lever guns ever built, Savage model 99's. One in thudy-thudy, the other in 300 Savage, one of the most underrated cartridges ever.

As Bill stated though, sounds like a good deal. Buy it, shoot it, if it doesn't suit you, getting your money back won't be a problem.

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
"Felt like Clint Eastwood unloading that Winnie..... as fast as you could flick that lever, you could fire a round. We had a blast with it. "Overk1ll

Just be sure to keep trigger finger well out of the way when rapid cycling! Putting the trigger through the meaty part of that trigger finger will take ALL the fun out of it!

Personally don't care for any of the newer rifles with lawyer mandated cross bolt safties. Anyone not capable of manipulating the hamer down on a loaded round really doesn't need to be armed.

Don't own either a Marlin or Winie. No particular reason, just never struck my fancy. Do own two of the finest lever guns ever built, Savage model 99's. One in thudy-thudy, the other in 300 Savage, one of the most underrated cartridges ever.

As Bill stated though, sounds like a good deal. Buy it, shoot it, if it doesn't suit you, getting your money back won't be a problem.

Bob

Knowing me, I'll get the "thudy thudy", have fun it for awhile, sell it and get my money back out of it, and get a companion lever gun in .357 as my SP101 is getting lonely. hahahaha

Man I wish this gun was in .357 as I want one of those badly. Thanks to Bill for wetting my appetite for one of these.
20.gif

I have an older Winchester 94 in 30-30. I always, for some strange reason, wanted another 94 in .44magnum. Saw one at a store, walked away figuring why fire a handgun round through a rifle??

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I have an older Winchester 94 in 30-30. I always, for some strange reason, wanted another 94 in .44magnum. Saw one at a store, walked away figuring why fire a handgun round through a rifle??

For me, it would make a companion my beloved .357 revolver, which is my favorite of all the guns I own. I have a lot of .38 special and .357, and it would be nice to get a rifle that shoots what I already am stocked up with.

Talking to my Uncle last night, an avid Wisconsin deer hunter, he told me in his early days he used a lever action 44 magnum and would drop a deer right in their tracks. It was more of a challenge because you had to get in on them much closer.

Grew up with a Marlin lever in .35 Remington, was a very sturdy, capable firearm. However if you reload lead the Marlin microgroove barrels, at least at that time, were said not to be optimum for lead slugs.

Originally Posted By: cephas
Grew up with a Marlin lever in .35 Remington, was a very sturdy, capable firearm. However if you reload lead the Marlin microgroove barrels, at least at that time, were said not to be optimum for lead slugs.

Buy all accounts, the .35 Remington is a great round for many creatures out to around 200 yards. A lot of guys swear by em'.

i did not know lever guns were wanted very much or i would not of given my nephew my winchester 45-70 with octogen barrel . dont remember model number, also gave him my model 12 winny

saturn fan, around here a few years back, the .35 was pronounced to be a "brush buster". It is a very capable caliber but, at least in my limited opinion, no much more so than the 30/30 or .32 winchester. When using it in the woods at the time, 50 yds. was a long shot. 200 yds. for me would be stretching it, but I'm sure it's been done more than once! Have a good one.

Originally Posted By: cephas
saturn fan, around here a few years back, the .35 was pronounced to be a "brush buster". It is a very capable caliber but, at least in my limited opinion, no much more so than the 30/30 or .32 winchester. When using it in the woods at the time, 50 yds. was a long shot. 200 yds. for me would be stretching it, but I'm sure it's been done more than once! Have a good one.

Looking at the ballistic tables, you are right, the 35 is similar to the 30-30 and 7.62x39.

Don't know much about 35 Remington ammo prices, but on sale you can get 30-30 for next to nothing and 7.62x39 for 230 bucks/1000 rounds. That's cheap shooting!

Have a good one!

Great links! I've been trying to convince myself I need a 336 for some time now. I've never been into deer hunting and have been pondering this gun. I know it's not a great long range gun but I doubt I could hit anything far off anyway. I happen to know where deer are pretty plentiful around here and stumble on them (literally) at work all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back