any known issues with PP 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2019 ranger an I tried the PP an read it was on the thin side an switched to mobile one. I did the first oil change at 3K an the second one at 8K I waited until the second change at 8K to change to full synthetic. I wanted to give the rings time to seat to the walls before going with the more slick synthetic.

Must be a Ford thing because many vehicles come with full synthetic right off the assembly line.

Did you check the Product Data Sheet? I would be highly surprised if PP doesn't meet the specification. However the newest sheet I have was for 2020 when it still listed the M2C946B1 for SN+ and not the new M2C961A1 for SP.

The FL500S Is not "specified", it's recommended just like MC Blend Oil.
My statements were accurate.

The PP I bought in January at NAPA is 5W-30, SP rated but still carries the older Ford spec. This is acceptable oil per the "Capacities and Specifications" in the owners manual (same for OP's 2.7). But I chose to use Mobil1 EP while the truck is under warranty, since it meets the newer Ford spec.

The manual also specifies an FL500-S Motorcraft oil filter (OP's 2.7 calls for FL-2062), but allows that if it's not available a filter that meets SAE/USCAR-36 spec. Although the Fram Ultra XG10575 I purchased may, in fact, meet that specification, it does not show that spec on the box. Therefore I chose not to use it. I kept it and may decide to use it when the truck is out of warranty (or in case of filterpocalypse).
Thank you BITOG for keeping me on my toes.

Attachments

• PXL_20220312_170053221.jpg
    PXL_20220312_170053221.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220312_170005621.jpg
    PXL_20220312_170005621.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220312-120402~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220312-120402~2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220312-122004.jpg
    Screenshot_20220312-122004.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22
My statements were accurate.

The PP I bought in January at NAPA is 5W-30, SP rated but still carries the older Ford spec. This is acceptable oil per the "Capacities and Specifications" in the owners manual (same for OP's 2.7). But I chose to use Mobil1 EP while the truck is under warranty, since it meets the newer Ford spec.

The manual also specifies an FL500-S Motorcraft oil filter (OP's 2.7 calls for FL-2062), but allows that if it's not available a filter that meets SAE/USCAR-36 spec. Although the Fram Ultra XG10575 I purchased may, in fact, meet that specification, it does not show that spec on the box. Therefore I chose not to use it. I kept it and may decide to use it when the truck is out of warranty (or in case of filterpocalypse).
Thank you BITOG for keeping me on my toes.

I simply meant the containers are often outdated and/or often have omitted information so you need to check the latest product data sheet to get accurate information.

I took "specify" to mean use this filter, as opposed to use a filter of equivalent specifications to the MC FL500S per SAE USCAR-36. Which I know of no US Filter supplier who doesn't follow.

The op said it was a 2.3, does this change the oil or filter specs advised above?

5W-30 WSS-M2C961A1 (recommended)

FL910S (recommended)
14.5 psi bypass
50% @ 35 Micron
Note: Unless they changed it this year.

I can't recommend the following since it's not the correct spec but I have several friends that run this on the 2.3EB due to better efficiency, less likely to bypass, larger filter media and more capacity.
FL400S
20.0 psi bypass
80% @ 20 Micron
It's about 3/4" longer than an FL910S

5W-30 WSS-M2C961A1 (recommended)

FL910S (recommended)
14.5 psi bypass
50% @ 35 Micron
Note: Unless they changed it this year.

I can't recommend the following since it's not the correct spec but I have several friends that run this on the 2.3EB due to better efficiency, less likely to bypass, larger filter media and more capacity.
FL400S
20.0 psi bypass
80% @ 20 Micron
It's about 3/4" longer than an FL910S
Aah. I can't go back and edit, but I misread OP's post (thought he said 2.7 and my brain thought F150, not Ranger). Sorry to hijack the thread.

I'd think Fords would come factory filled with Motorcraft synthetic blend and a Motorcraft filter. Maybe swing by Walmart and buy that combo, change it out, and see if any engine noises go away.

Did an oil change on my 3.7 last week, Sprawl Mart was out of MC and Fram Ultras, so I picked up a M1. Changing it out today. It's the only filter that's produced a noisy startup on this car. Going back to Fram.

IMG_20220313_102304748_HDR.jpg

Change the filter and let us know. Its not the oil, its either the filter or you did something wrong
It could be either one if you never used them before but I would suspect it's the filter plus changing the filter out is much easier than changing out the the oil.

For what it’s worth, I ALWAYS had more engine noise with PP. 4.0L Nissan Xterra, 2.4L Kia Optima and 5.3L Z71. Always had more engine noise with that oil and vanilla Mobil 1. Great oils and it was probably fine but why run it if it bothers you. I had better luck with Castrol and HM versions of other oils. PYB when it was still available actually helped as opposed to the platinum. I know it probably sounds ridiculous but it’s my experience with it.

thank you to all who replied with helpful, educational suggestions. i have replaced the m1 filter with a motorcraft 910S and no longer hear the ticking noise. on paper, the m1 is the better filter but the 910S seems to work better. the engine is still louder than before but im gonna give it a few days and if it dont change or gets worse im going to move on to full synthetic castrol edge, or magnatec.

I’m glad the MC filter worked for you. I would just buy a case of OEM filters for your vehicle. I also think you will be happy w Castrol oil, my vibe runs a little quieter on it vs other brands.

Good call on changing the filter. Pennzoil Platinum is on the thinner side, so maybe stepping up to a slightly thicker 30 weight has value.

I'm on my first ever OCI using synthetic. I've been using conventional 10w40 nearly exclusively since I started driving in 1975. The synthetic I used was PP 10w30. I can tell the engine is a little noisier than with the 15 year old Citgo Supergard conventional 10w40 I'd been using. The difference in noise isn't a lot but there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back