any known issues with PP 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did my first oil change on my 22 ford ranger 2.3 ecoboost. i know it may not be necessary but i like early changes on new vehicles. it had 1100 miles on it. i used pennzoil platinum 5w30 & mobil 1 filter. m1-102a

i immediately noticed the engine was louder while accelerating and had an obvious loss of horsepower. i also noticed a "ticking" noise that wasnt there before.

oil levels are good and its nearly invisible on the dipstick. super clean. im wondering if the 2.3 ecoboost turbo prefers a different motor oil or is this even motor oil related? just seems odd this happened right after the change.

any thoughts & suggestions are appreciated....

Shel_B

Site Donor 2022
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is a pretty thin 30wt, almost kissing a 20wt from the info I just checked. You might want to consider a "heavier" oil, like Mobil1, although I'm sure there are other good choices as well.

A different filter brand may also be helpful. A lot of Ford owners prefer the Motorcraft filters.

i did my first oil change on my 22 ford ranger 2.3 ecoboost. i know it may not be necessary but i like early changes on new vehicles. it had 1100 miles on it. i used pennzoil platinum 5w30 & mobil 1 filter. m1-102a

i immediately noticed the engine was louder while accelerating and had an obvious loss of horsepower. i also noticed a "ticking" noise that wasnt there before.

oil levels are good and its nearly invisible on the dipstick. super clean. im wondering if the 2.3 ecoboost turbo prefers a different motor oil or is this even motor oil related? just seems odd this happened right after the change.

any thoughts & suggestions are appreciated....
Not due to the oil.

Stop driving the truck and put on the correct Motorcraft oil filter.

Note for down the road: DO NOT use anything to clean the intake valves on your truck unless you want the turbo to live a shorter life.

Good advice. Add to it a few spirited runs to ensure the turbo gate opens. There are reports of sticking gates on the 2.7 and 3.5 for those who are pedal conscious.

Not to be a wise-guy, but,
1) Are your windows UP all the way?
2) Did you reposition the seat farther back (from gas peddel)?
I've been quilty of both.

Sometimes when I want to listen for engine noises, I roll my window DOWN while driving along the concrete barriers on entrance ramps of thruways.

Good morning,
I agree with the previous commenters.
I originally bought Pennzoil Platinum for my 21 f150 5.0. then I noticed that PP did not have the latest Ford certification that's listed in the owner's manual (WSS-M2C961-A1). I know PP's SP specification is adequate per the Ford owners manual, but I figured why take a chance.
I had also purchased the correct fram ultra oil filter. Ultimately I did not use that either. I used the Ford FL 500S which is specified in the manual.
Hope your noise goes away. The 2.7 is a hoot to drive!

Filter. get a Motorcraft on there now. It's the Mobil 1 hate Pennzoil conflict.

Not kidding, Change Filter.

Pre-fill the next one 1/2 way not all the way

Good morning,
I agree with the previous commenters.
I originally bought Pennzoil Platinum for my 21 f150 5.0. then I noticed that PP did not have the latest Ford certification that's listed in the owner's manual (WSS-M2C961-A1). I know PP's SP specification is adequate per the Ford owners manual, but I figured why take a chance.
I had also purchased the correct fram ultra oil filter. Ultimately I did not use that either. I used the Ford FL 500S which is specified in the manual.
Hope your noise goes away. The 2.7 is a hoot to drive!

Did you check the Product Data Sheet? I would be highly surprised if PP doesn't meet the specification. However the newest sheet I have was for 2020 when it still listed the M2C946B1 for SN+ and not the new M2C961A1 for SP.

The FL500S Is not "specified", it's recommended just like MC Blend Oil.

Last edited:
It's the semi that came from the factory that made it quiet . I can guarantee you if you put the motor craft 5w30 semi back in the noise will be gone .

I have a 2019 ranger an I tried the PP an read it was on the thin side an switched to mobile one. I did the first oil change at 3K an the second one at 8K I waited until the second change at 8K to change to full synthetic. I wanted to give the rings time to seat to the walls before going with the more slick synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.