Any known issues the the Yaris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

man that is one UGLY car, i can understand the reliability aspect but to fall in love with a car that looks like that? jeez man, but hey it is just my opnion...to each their own.

What are you smoking? It's a beauty. Now celicas, civics, and similar ricers, that is the top of car ugliness, LOL.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Didn't they have head gasket problems ?

I think you asked about that a year ago or so; One BITOG's (odie perhaps) seemed to blow a gasket at 20K or so.

Perhaps Toyota changed the design of the HG for the yaris. This is not confirmed, but I haven't seen any mention of this as a recurring issue.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2011891/1

It was odie.

It appears he had 2 yaris with the same issue; he should play the lottery.

If you read his description, this is not the typical HG leak that has to be fixed. Just small amount of oil weeping in the back of the engine. 99.9% of people would not notice that and it would not be a "problem" in the conventional sense.

I was given one as a rental last summer. The automatic Yaris sedan I drove around for 4 days was a honest car. It was honest that it would get you from point A to point B in one piece, and be about as exciting as any other inexpensive appliance. Sure enough, it got me from points A through Z and back again, getting about 35-37 mpg in mostly highway driving. It wasn't that quick, it wasn't that quiet, and it didn't handle that well.

On the plus side, it was holding up to rental use just fine. The interior was mostly rattle-free and generally pretty wear-resistant. The transmission shifted just fine, and the headlights were surprisingly good with what I presume were the OEM bulbs.

For somebody who needs reliable and fairly efficient while not caring about driving dynamics, give it a good look.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I was given one as a rental last summer. The automatic Yaris sedan I drove around for 4 days was a honest car. It was honest that it would get you from point A to point B in one piece, and be about as exciting as any other inexpensive appliance. Sure enough, it got me from points A through Z and back again, getting about 35-37 mpg in mostly highway driving. It wasn't that quick, it wasn't that quiet, and it didn't handle that well.

On the plus side, it was holding up to rental use just fine. The interior was mostly rattle-free and generally pretty wear-resistant. The transmission shifted just fine, and the headlights were surprisingly good with what I presume were the OEM bulbs.

For somebody who needs reliable and fairly efficient while not caring about driving dynamics, give it a good look.

This echoes (pardon the pun) my experience with one that a buddy of mine had as a rental. It wasn't quiet, it wasn't great driving, but it did seem to not have a whole heck of a lot that was inclined to break on it and got good gas mileage.

The interior wasn't put together horribly well either with various things not lining up and the like but it is an inexpensive car so I guess that's not really unusual.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This echoes (pardon the pun) my experience with one that a buddy of mine had as a rental. It wasn't quiet, it wasn't great driving, but it did seem to not have a whole heck of a lot that was inclined to break on it and got good gas mileage.

The interior wasn't put together horribly well either with various things not lining up and the like but it is an inexpensive car so I guess that's not really unusual.

The interior of the one my daughter's getting looks nice...maybe hers is a Wednesday car?

Originally Posted By: grampi

The interior of the one my daughter's getting looks nice...maybe hers is a Wednesday car?

Maybe
smile.gif

Keep in mind that like anything else, a Yaris can dress up nicely in the higher trims. Add in a leather steering wheel and some fancier plastics, and the interior gets slightly less bargain-basement. The rental I had was likely a base car with a automatic.

I was actually surprised at how well the car rode/drove/handled on the highway...we took it to my mechanic yesterday to have him check it out and we set the cruise at 75...seemed to handle it effortlessly...granted, it wasn't as quiet and comfortable as a Buick Roadmaster, but it also didn't seem like the "tin can" as it was described earlier...the only thing wrong our mechanic found was a section of the exhaust that was leaking...he said the replacement would be around $200....my daughter is now the proud owner of a 2009 Yaris!

Hatch or sedan? IIRC the hatch was a little more expensive, as it probably had a few more creature comforts than a base-level sedan.

We looked at a Yaris hatch back in 2009 when we were purchasing a car for my wife. It was decent, but the Honda dealer played ball on price.

My 3 hrs hwy drive in Yaris immediately after purchase (out of state) was not very impressive with poor handling. But the weather was bad with storms and rain. Later, I realized the tires were very under-inflated. Somehow I missed that in my inspection. After pumping the tires the handling is OK, but nothing stellar. Like I said, it's a great city car.

If the Yaris is like my ECHO, I can tell you that the winter performance in snow is terrible. The car hardly weighs anything and is like a leaf on a frozen lake. You absolutely need winter tires - and that improves it from dangerous to about average.

Other than that I've liked my ECHO for the 14 years I've had it, no issues with the engine or most anything else on the drivetrain. Still no squeaks or rattles. I did have a bad output shaft bearing in my manual transmission, but I fixed that myself and so far it has been fine.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
My 3 hrs hwy drive in Yaris immediately after purchase (out of state) was not very impressive with poor handling. But the weather was bad with storms and rain. Later, I realized the tires were very under-inflated. Somehow I missed that in my inspection. After pumping the tires the handling is OK, but nothing stellar. Like I said, it's a great city car.

Hatch or sedan? IIRC the hatch was a little more expensive, as it probably had a few more creature comforts than a base-level sedan.

We looked at a Yaris hatch back in 2009 when we were purchasing a car for my wife. It was decent, but the Honda dealer played ball on price.

It's a 4 door (or 5 door, whatever they call it) hatchback. The amount of interior space it has is quite impressive...I think it has a bigger interior than my Corolla...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back