Any Issues Mixing Redline 5W-30 and Castrol Edge 5W-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much talk of LSPI and calcium on here. Meanwhile Euro oils still have tons of calcium and no LSPI problems.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
So much talk of LSPI and calcium on here. Meanwhile Euro oils still have tons of calcium and no LSPI problems.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a band aid and even the oil and additive companies say it "may" help.

As long as both are 5W30 and both are full synthetic, I dont see a problem at all... [censored], I use 4 qts of 5W20 STP full Synthetic and mix in 1 qt of 5W20 Redline full Synthetic.. no harm done.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jimmy

Do you have bad gas? Does USA have bad gas? What about those Euros' gas? Is Euro gas different than ours? How different is Euro gas versus USA gas Jimmy?

I asked a-lot of questions here and the answer on why Euros have less lspi problems lies in the single word I used most ^^^^^^^^^^^ right up there.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I want to drain the factory fill and change the filter on my new Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5 liter Turbo Skyactiv engine somewhere around the 1000 - 1200 mile mark and refill with a quality synthetic.
I think the Castrol Edge will be a good match for this engine. I have 3 quarts of Redline 5W-30 leftover from my supply for my previous Nissan 370Z that I would like to consume.

Use one quart of Red Line for each of the next three OCIs. Overstock problem now solved and the new Mazda gets mostly-all correctly spec'd oil each OCI.

This is what I would do, use the Redline one at a time as an 'additive'.

I think I will use the Redline in small amounts (1 qt. or less) for changes or as "top off" oil if needed. I paid $12 a quart for it so would like to consume it but if it isn't optimally formulated for Direct Injection engines it is probably best to use it sparingly.

It has nothing to do with us talking about calcium, it has to do with what the entire industry is doing. Hello wake up into the world of oils specs. Sn+ make sense? Literally every gf-6 will have low calcium, but they couldn't wait for gf-6 to drop, so the came up with sn+ in the interim, BECAUSE IT IS THAT IMPORTANT, LMAO. It not like beavus and butthead are yammering about their feelings on calcium, like the people who are ignoring what the entire industry is doing saying, nah don't worry about it uhuh huh huh, go ahead and use high calcium oils in a di turbo, uhuh huh huh. Getting oil advice here is like playing roulette, buch of "oil guys" telling you about their feelings about oil. Likely wont have an issue, but that has nothing to do with ignoring the FACTS when recomending something because these e-smart guys scouff at lspi.

I like the way that the reduction of Calcium has forced the manufacturers to use new and novel metals like tungsten etc. Time will tell if there are any ramifications for these substitutions. As far as the gasoline comments go. The good ole U.S. is now a major exporter of finished gasoline to Europe. I wonder what the difference is in the spigots is at the refinery?

Originally Posted by sloinker
I like the way that the reduction of Calcium has forced the manufacturers to use new and novel metals like tungsten etc. Time will tell if there are any ramifications for these substitutions. As far as the gasoline comments go. The good ole U.S. is now a major exporter of finished gasoline to Europe. I wonder what the difference is in the spigots is at the refinery?

The two have nothing to do with each other. Hardly anyone uses tungsten either.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by sloinker

The two have nothing to do with each other. Hardly anyone uses tungsten either.

With the reduction of calcium there seems to be a trend of other metals being introduced. Are they a replacement for calcium. Maybe. Poor gas quality and LSPI was brought up, hence my gasoline comment.

Commenting on two subjects that are brought up in this thread. Maybe you need to let your panties out a notch and relax.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use either oil till maybe a couple of oci pass to get all the factory particles and sealant out. Dont you get a few courtesy oci free? Use them up...Then get OCD on BITOG ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back