Any issue mixing M1 AFE 0W-20 with M1 EP 0W-20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: holdorf333
I'm sure mixing them creates a new animal entirely, magically dropping out of ASE certification and makes things like additives suddenly decrease, as if by magic.

Okay. Call Mobil and ask them how long their warranty is for a mix of AFE and EP. I bet it's not 10,000 miles or 15,000 miles or the mean thereof, but something like zero.

I'm planning on mixing my last half quart of AFE 0W20 with 4.5 quarts of AFE 0W30 to clean out my Mobil 1 stash next time I change the oil in my Jeep. While it might not be the best thing in the world to do, I'd rather not pitch half a quart of good oil. I wouldn't recommend making home brewed blends as a steady diet though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: holdorf333
I'm sure mixing them creates a new animal entirely, magically dropping out of ASE certification and makes things like additives suddenly decrease, as if by magic.

Okay. Call Mobil and ask them how long their warranty is for a mix of AFE and EP. I bet it's not 10,000 miles or 15,000 miles or the mean thereof, but something like zero.

You know, this wouldn't be a bad idea: Calling Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil etc., and asking if their engine guarantee program stays in effect if the consumer mixes (within the brand) at each OCi.

Don't ask Shell; they don't go for extended OCIs.
wink.gif
However, it would be interesting to ask if they guarantee a mix of PYB and PUP in the same viscosity for an OEM OCI, assuming PYB and PUP both meet the requirements for the vehicle in question. I bet they'll be hemming and hawing, at the very least.

Pennzoil's take on mixing:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Vi#Post3853029

15. I like to use thinner grades of full synthetic to thin out heavier grades of conventional or synthetic motor oils. I'm currently running a blended mix of M1, 15W-50 and M1 0W-20, 3 quarts of each until the cold of winter arrives. Once the cold of winter arrives, I'll be using 1 Gallon of Shell Rotella T6 and 2 quarts of Formula Shell full synthetic 5W-30 until June. I'll keep the same M1 extended performance filter on for 2 runs along with a filter magnet attached to the filter. Would running Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum in a 5W-30 be more beneficial year round rather than blended mixes?

A. You’re clearly looking to take a great deal of care of your engine and have thought a lot about your choices of oil. Whilst blending together oils may give you the expected physical properties (e.g. viscosity) the performance of mixtures of performance additive packages is much harder to predict, I’m afraid chemistry is much less predictable than physics! I would recommend using a single product and the two products you suggest would be excellent choices. As another point to consider, running a single brand oil as oppose to mixes will put you in a better position were you to experience an issue and to wish to make a claim under either an OEM or Oil Warranty scheme.

Continued from above

16. I'm interested in making a custom blend for my vehicles. Preferentially starting with Rotella T6 5W-40, as it's in the family, but wanting something a bit closer to 5W-30. Rotella as it's in the family, and a strong oil, but if needed, Platinum Euro 5W-40 could be considered as a starting point. I would like to blend it down to a 5W-30 using Platinum 5W-20, so that I will end up with a 5W-30 with a little more anti-wear additive than the typical 5W-30. Are there any problems doing this, and will the results be as I expect them to be?

A. The physical results may be very much as you expect i.e. viscosity is likely to be predictable following well known physical laws however the chemical effects are highly unpredictable. Wear performance is not dictated solely by the amount of wear protecting additives in an oil, the efficacy (effectiveness) of the additives must also be considered. Efficacy can be negatively impacted by changing the balance of a formulation package. The approach you suggest could conceivably result in poorer performance, I would recommend choosing a single tier of product, and Pennzoil Platinum has been designed to offer complete protection including unsurpassed wear performance.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
went to walmart tonight, and they only had 5 quarts of M1 0W-20 left. They had bunch of the AFE 0W-20, so i got the 5q jugg of M1 AFE 0W-20, and the 5 quarts of the M1 EP 0W-20. Really wanted to use all the M1 EP, since that's what I've been running in my Tundra and it seems to be doing great on it, but didn't really feel like driving around town looking for another 5 quarts of EP.
So my question is if mixing these would be ok for my 2012 Tundra?

btw the manager gave me the 5 quarts of M1 EP at same price as the 5 gallong jug of the M1 AFE 0W-20.

M1 AFE 0W-20 and M1 EP 0W-20 are almost the same oil, with the EP having slightly higher TBN (slightly more detergents) and perhaps slightly more PAO. So, EP will allow a slightly longer OCI. Mixing will result in an OCI length somewhere in between.

I called the Mobil1 tech line to see what they say about mixing these 2 oils, and how far I can safely take my OC interval running this mix. no one available right now, so i left them a message.

I called the Mobil1 tech line to see what they say about mixing these 2 oils, and how far I can safely take my OC interval running this mix. no one available right now, so i left them a message.

I can easily guess their (political) reply:

"Mixing them is perfectly OK. However, you should not do any type of extended OCI if the oil you put in is not 100% M1 EP."

well surprise, surprise, I just received a call from the M1 tech support (nelson), and he said mobil1 does not recommend mixing these 2 oils for a fresh oil change, because of their different additive packages. He said if i needed a little make-up oil between oil changes, it would be fine to top off with any M1 0W-20 full synthetic product, but for a new oil change mobil does not recommend mixing EP and AFE. He said to either try to find another 4 quarts of M1 EP, or just do an OC with all AFE.

^good answer and he's technically right. It wouldn't cause a problem, but you ideally want to keep chemistry the same as possible.

What is so special about AFE ? AFE(Advance Fuel Economy) is just a marketing term to differentiate it from other brands.

There is only 1 M1 0W20 and 1 M1 0W30(don't count EP as it is separate formula), and XOM marketing it as AFE formula.

If anyone can find M1 0W20 and/or M1 0W30 (without AFE moniker) please post.

Question concerning mixing....

well surprise, surprise, I just received a call from the M1 tech support (nelson), and he said mobil1 does not recommend mixing these 2 oils for a fresh oil change, because of their different additive packages. He said if i needed a little make-up oil between oil changes, it would be fine to top off with any M1 0W-20 full synthetic product, but for a new oil change mobil does not recommend mixing EP and AFE. He said to either try to find another 4 quarts of M1 EP, or just do an OC with all AFE.

Originally Posted By: buster
^good answer and he's technically right. It wouldn't cause a problem, but you ideally want to keep chemistry the same as possible.

I don't know on this one buster.
wink.gif
All i read is... "don't mix".

I guess since no two oils have the same chemistry, Mobil 1 tech support's statement can be easily generalized as "Never mix any oil with any other oil."

Ironically, there are so many people on BITOG who devote a lot of time and energy to create personalized oil blends.

Do I agree with Mobil 1 tech support? To some extent. However, given how similar M1 AFE 0W-20 and M1 EP 0W-20 are (for both the base oil and additive package), probably there is no caveat whatsoever in mixing the two.

Nevertheless, do I ever dare to mix two different oils? No.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I guess since no two oils have the same chemistry, Mobil 1 tech support's statement can be easily generalized as "Never mix any oil with any other oil."

Ironically, there are so many people on BITOG who devote a lot of time and energy to create personalized oil blends.

Not sure on the irony part, but designing and making a mix (it's NOT a blend, unless you know what's in it), based on possibly a VOA, with no knowledge of any of the oil's actual makeup is a fool's errand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back