Any issue mixing M1 AFE 0W-20 with M1 EP 0W-20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
went to walmart tonight, and they only had 5 quarts of M1 0W-20 left. They had bunch of the AFE 0W-20, so i got the 5q jugg of M1 AFE 0W-20, and the 5 quarts of the M1 EP 0W-20. Really wanted to use all the M1 EP, since that's what I've been running in my Tundra and it seems to be doing great on it, but didn't really feel like driving around town looking for another 5 quarts of EP.
So my question is if mixing these would be ok for my 2012 Tundra?

btw the manager gave me the 5 quarts of M1 EP at same price as the 5 gallong jug of the M1 AFE 0W-20.

Very slim to no chance of any ill effects. Mix and enjoy the ride. I just wouldn't try to extend to the 15,000 mile EP limit.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Very slim to no chance of any ill effects. Mix and enjoy the ride. I just wouldn't try to extend to the 15,000 mile EP limit.
If they are mostly highway miles, I would. I saw almost no difference between AFE and EP in my 2010 FX4.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
If they are mostly highway miles, I would. I saw almost no difference between AFE and EP in my 2010 FX4.

I said this because AFE isn't listed/mkt'd as an extended performance (15,000 mi) oil. I did see where you felt better about it than the EP though.

I don't think there would be any issue mixing them.

That store manager did you a solid...five 1 qt. containers of M1 EP sells for nearly $45.

Originally Posted By: CT8
No ill effects. What gives you the idea there would be ill effects?

I never said, "you will have ill effects." Below is what i said. Besides, i'm contemplating a 60% 0w40 / 40% 5w30 PUP mix soon.

I have run my current fill of M1 EP 0W-20 to 13,800 miles. What would be a safe OC interval for a 50 / 50 mix of M1 EP and M1 AFE? Aside from EP having a higher price point, and slightly higher percentage of PAO basestock than AFE, are there other substantial differences between these 2 lubes?

Originally Posted By: CT8
No ill effects. What gives you the idea there would be ill effects?

If you are stating that there's no CHANCE of ill effect when mixing, then you are plain wrong.

wemay's statement was correct.

I'll effects like what? exploding upon mixing like a binary explosive? morphing from motor oil into intensely strong acid?

mixing those oils will not produce anything other than motor oil.

Originally Posted By: holdorf333
I'll effects like what? exploding upon mixing like a binary explosive? morphing from motor oil into intensely strong acid?

mixing those oils will not produce anything other than motor oil.

Exactly correct, no-one has ever said that it will produce anything like what you are proposing as the strawmen for you create then beat down.

Is the resultant as good, and certified as either of the components ?

The miscibility standard promises that they mix...nothing more.

Not even that they are "SN" motor oils any more...just that they mix.

I'm sure mixing them creates a new animal entirely, magically dropping out of ASE certification and makes things like additives suddenly decrease, as if by magic.

Point taken :rolleyes:

Originally Posted By: Hessam
Aside from EP having a higher price point, and slightly higher percentage of PAO basestock than AFE, are there other substantial differences between these 2 lubes?
Are you sure there is a higher percentage of PAO between these two? AFE is touted to have quite a bit of PAO. The primary difference that I see is that EP is **guaranteed** to last 15K, AFE is not guaranteed for any mileage (though it in the past it was a 10K oil--if memory serves). In my 2010 FX4 UOAs I was not "amazed" by EP over AFE (for runs to 15K or slightly over). If it were mine, I would save the extra $$ (even though it is only a few) and use AFE with a synthetic oil filter for 12K-15K OCIs and run a couple of UOAs to check TBN to set a trend.

Originally Posted By: holdorf333
I'm sure mixing them creates a new animal entirely, magically dropping out of ASE certification and makes things like additives suddenly decrease, as if by magic.

Point taken :rolleyes:

It's your strawman

Mobil keeps their chemistry pretty much consistent across their entire line, so in this case no. EP is just a boosted version of AFE.

Why this always turns into a black & white issue, i'll never know. Shannow never proclaimed that any of the ridiculous examples attributed to his post are what's going to occur.

The truth is that mixing two different oils always comes with some risk, how ever infinitesimally small... still more of a risk than not mixing. It may not even be worth pointing because of how small the risks are, granted. But risk is a technical possibility.

To the OP, call Mobil and ask if you can mix these oils and if the answer is 'yes', have at it. I called Shell and they said there "shouldn't be any issue" with a mix i'm contemplating. But they never said..."there will be zero issue".

My opinion? Mix them.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Hessam
Aside from EP having a higher price point, and slightly higher percentage of PAO basestock than AFE, are there other substantial differences between these 2 lubes?
Are you sure there is a higher percentage of PAO between these two? AFE is touted to have quite a bit of PAO.

Someone posted a while ago that EP has about 60% PAO compares with 30-40% of AFE.

I'm thinking about mixing 60% 0W40 with 40% 0W20 EP to get 3.3-3.4 HTHS for my S2000.

The 0w40 is the one oil that does have different chemistry. The MC oils, 15w50 all the way through the regular Mobil 1/EP line all use the mg/Ca combo and have a lower SA. The 0w40 has a SA of 1.3. So mixing them is not ideal but probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back