Any info on Pontiac VIBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I remember reading a few months back about a fellow BITOG'er getting a great deal on a new Vibe with GM points, customer cash etc...I can't find it using the search function (I find the search function almost useless). Can anybody point me to this post and I'm also interested in opinions on the Vibe with 1.8L. I can use all my GM points and get a pretty good deal if I act by Tuesday but do I really need another car.......Thanks guys

Don't waste your money. It's an okay car, but the newer ones seem to be in the shops quite a bit.

Still quite a few unsold Vibes around here.....

All I know is that the Pontiac Vibe will be the last car with the Pontiac badge rolled out of the factory. also its only a rebadged Toyota Matrix

Originally Posted By: spursfan600
All I know is that the Pontiac Vibe will be the last car with the Pontiac badge rolled out of the factory. also its only a rebadged Toyota Matrix

And they are already done making them....

Vibe 1.8 automatic is a fairly annoying ride, but the stick shift is super as long as you don't care about the stoplight races. You get minivan like space and 36 MPG.

Coworker has an 03 with over 100k and it's aging ok... phantom EVAP codes, sticky brake caliper, and an odd alignment issue keep it from being totally super.

my 06 vibe has been rock solid reliable. Only oil changes and maintenance. that's it. I got almost 40 mpg on a road trip to Florida a few weeks ago with the 1.8L. I'm not burning any oil!
If you want one, you better act fast. GM is not only going to stop building Pontiac. They are pulling out of the NUMMI plant! So this will be the last GM-Toyota vehicle in 8/09.
Unless they start building a GM prius, hinted in the article below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aBBmyy4vnSu4

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Don't waste your money. It's an okay car, but the newer ones seem to be in the shops quite a bit.

In the shop due to what reason?

I've got 120k on my '04. No problems at all, not even a rattle. Only thing changed so far is the drive belt and the battery. Still on the factory brake pads.

GM people hate the vibe. awhile back, I remember reading a Pontiac mechanic swearing how the vibe was junk and was the most unreliable Pontiac they had. not to buy it, buy the other pontiac models. He probably wanted people to not buy the vibe, it would put his job out of business from lack of work.
LOL.gif

we had an '03 MATRIX with 4 speed auto and never a mechanical issue for the 60,000 miles before trading it in . The CONTNENTAL tires were junk . Ditched those for COOPER Trensetter SEs . The MATRIX had an overall average close to 33 m.p.g. during the 3 years we had it . Did have some rattles , but they were easy fixes . Wish we kept it . :- (

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

In the shop due to what reason?

I've got 120k on my '04. No problems at all, not even a rattle. Only thing changed so far is the drive belt and the battery. Still on the factory brake pads.

Consumer Reports gives it "much better than average" reliability in all categories except body integrity. Sounds pretty good to me.

John

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
GM people hate the vibe. awhile back, I remember reading a Pontiac mechanic swearing how the vibe was junk and was the most unreliable Pontiac they had. not to buy it, buy the other pontiac models. He probably wanted people to not buy the vibe, it would put his job out of business from lack of work.
LOL.gif

There's a continuity of design you get with GM, which becomes useful if you work on a bunch of them, and the rebadges probably violate that. Bet they wouldn't like the Daewoo Aveo, Isuzu Spectrum, Honda VUE engine, etc for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back