Any info on eco guard

I found these on Amazon and with a coupon code I can get the by subscription for $4. I’d use them on our 06 dodge GC. Are these any good? Who actually makes them? Any info is appreciated.

Ecoguard? I know they put their name on a lot of different filters, I have even gotten a Baldwin fuel filter (with the Ecoguard sticker slapped over the Baldwin) for a 6.2 GM diesel from them. I think most of their filters are Chinese, but they will sell almost anyone's.

Ecoguard? I know they put their name on a lot of different filters, I have even gotten a Baldwin fuel filter (with the Ecoguard sticker slapped over the Baldwin) for a 6.2 GM diesel from them. I think most of their filters are Chinese, but they will sell almost anyone's.
Yes sorry not sure why I was thinking eco lab. It’s been that kind of day 😂

EcoGuard used to be Rural King's "house" filter, and they'd sell spin-ons for $1.99 each.
Now, they are selling a PrimeGuard filter. Probably whoever is the low bidder, is what they'll sell.

Visually inspecting a used oil filter tells you nothing about the quality of the filter. If you want a good filter, buy a good filter. Bargain basement filters are worth no more than you pay for them.

Visually inspecting a used oil filter tells you nothing about the quality of the filter. If you want a good filter, buy a good filter. Bargain basement filters are worth no more than you pay for them.
Curious if this rule applies to visually inspecting a new filter? :ROFLMAO: Please also explain why inspection of a used filter provides no useful data.

So we should blindly trust marketing and price point? I'm sure the corporations of the world would absolutely love that approach.

I’ve used them in the past and have a few sitting on the shelf. The Synthetic model is 99%+ efficient if I remember correctly, I also have some dissections in my history.

I have, and will continue to use them with confidence.

I found these on Amazon and with a coupon code I can get the by subscription for $4. I’d use them on our 06 dodge GC. Are these any good? Who actually makes them? Any info is appreciated.
Why not use the super tech from Wally world? I think you'd pay less than $4 each. They are probably similar to the super tech.

Curious if this rule applies to visually inspecting a new filter? :ROFLMAO: Please also explain why inspection of a used filter provides no useful data.

So we should blindly trust marketing and price point? I'm sure the corporations of the world would absolutely love that approach.
A visual inspection tells you nothing about how well the filter worked. Things like: 1) What is the smallest particle it trapped? 2) What is its flow rate at the beginning and end of the OCI? 3) How much 'dirt' can it hold? 4) Has it exceeded its capacity? 5) Was it in bypass mode the last portion of the drain interval?

While a visual inspection might note metal particles, most of those which are visible to the naked eye aren't the real wear producers (too large).

What can you tell by inspecting a new filter? It tells you nothing about any of the performance parameters that you're really interested in. Certainly, it is tempting when comparing two new filters to presume that the one with the most media is the better. But is it really? Again, without knowing the performance characteristics of each filter, you really can't tell.

Will a $4 oil filter work as well as a $15 filter? It might, but I wouldn't bet on it. If you want your engine to last, going for a cheap oil filter is "penny wise but pound foolish."

I recommend you check out this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...essure-vs-flow-bubble-point-and-burst.334882/

Last edited:
Design and physical build/manufacturing quality can be seen with a cut-open and visual inspection. Performance like efficiency, holding capacity, and flow vs delta-p can't. Agree with your post #11.

Cummins Filtration lab techs/engineers definitely inspect used filters from testing, for what that's worth to this group.

@ $4, I would use a Supertech or orange can Fram.
I have used several EcoGard filters in the past, and posted pics of them here (new and used) as well as e-mailed one of their marketing guys about them.
Seem to be a decent jobber grade filter that is built pretty well with decent filtering (it varies on the filter model, but not too bad).
I got mine for like $2 of Walmart.com a few years ago and at that price are a great deal, but again, at $4, not something I would go searching for.

Some time ago this OP dissected an unused Ecogard and gave his opinion:

Back