Any idea how old is this Havoline?

Does it seem like from early 2000? Planning to use in my beater 06 Civic with 1.8L as a frankenstein brew during summers.

Or just leave it and use it in OPE? Thank you.

Does it seem like from early 2000? Planning to use in my beater 06 Civic with 1.8L as a frankenstein brew during summers.

i used that in a dakota late 90's early 2000's never any issue's , may have been even earlier can't remember.

I believe API SJ was replaced by API SL in ~2001. So that oil was made somewhere 1996-2001. Don't quote me on that though, going off memory here.

EDIT: Found the chart. Not the most recent, but answers the question.
Oil-change-in-Orlando.jpg

Last edited:
Can I mix with latest oils, say SM, SN and use with confidence for 3K oil changes? Any negative impact? Thx

Last edited:

I think you are about right with its age. Yes, I would use it in your lawnmower.

That’s what we used to put in our Delta 88… either that or 10W-40 maybe that “in winter”…. (Better than 5W in API SJ? LOL!)

Because of the SJ it is newer than 1992, about to Google and cheat… I’ll say mid to late 90s based SOLELY on the API SJ and that our year 1992 vehicles (Olds, again, 10 years newer had a 3800 Series 1) were API SG I think .

When did API SJ come out, 1996?

I believe API SJ was replaced by API SL in ~2001. So that oil was made somewhere 1996-2001. Don't quote me on that though, going off memory here.

EDIT: Found the chart. Not the most recent, but answers the question.
View attachment 128222
Wow SPI SH was around for a short time. (So was SL and the first motor oil I bought was SL when SJ was being phased out. SL was the “new” oil and I was asking if it was “better.”)

Then you get those that seek out API SJ oil because that is what it says on the cap…

1669636056461.jpeg

Back