Any high mileage cars that ran 5w-20 exclusively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^--- not when the vehicle is spec'd for it
smile.gif

We haven't seen but 1 or 2 bad UOA with vehicles not speced for it. There's a number stellar reports posted on 5w-20 in vehicles not speced for it. G-Mans Chrysler report on Pennz 5w-20 (vehicle speced 10w-30) is perhaps the best of all. If my Corolla didn't consume oil, I think I'd try 5w-20!

Sid, I can't imagine the amount of money that must have been spent on that guys Focus to keep it going 200k miles, lol. The highest I'd seen the past year and a bit was 120k on a Focus and the owner had been through **** with it. Our motto at the Ford dealership I worked at was never let a friend buy a Focus. lol. I'm sure somebody will argue with that, but I'm just going by the hundreds of Focus's that I've seen.

I agree with Gary. Cars with 250,000 miles now would have been driven in the best conditions for wear. It is the car driven for short trips just around town that we need to find out about (like my cars). We need more years of testing.

Accelerated testing has shown that the oil is working so I am not worried. In fact I think thinner oils will prove to be just as good as thicker oils for the highway and better for those with shorts trips.

aehaas

LOL. OMG. That's so true.

My best friend's uncle works at the parts counter at a Ford dealership. At my friend's wedding I was talking to him and he actually said, "Never let a friend buy a Focus."

At this point, any vehicle with a large amount of miles on it with 5w20 would mostly be highway miles.

It will be another 5 to 7 years of use before we know the long term effects of the switch.

Even still, without a large term semi-controlled test we'll never actually know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. People will always pick a side and stick with it.

quote:

Sid, I can't imagine the amount of money that must have been spent on that guys Focus to keep it going 200k miles, lol. The highest I'd seen the past year and a bit was 120k on a Focus and the owner had been through **** with it. Our motto at the Ford dealership I worked at was never let a friend buy a Focus. lol. I'm sure somebody will argue with that, but I'm just going by the hundreds of Focus's that I've seen.

LOL. I won't deny it. The Focus has had so many problematic parts it's embarassing sometimes. But the car isn't bad and will go miles and miles for you. I'm sure it's hard to believe for you because you probably see so many come in with whatever problems working at the dealership. Funny thing is I have a 2000 2.0L Zetec (the one with the most known problems) and I haven't experienced any of the main problems others have, then again I bought the car used as a salvage vehicle at 49K miles so *knock on wood*.

BTW I'm betting the problems you knew of were Fuel Pumps, Locked Ignitions, DPFE sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back