Any Gunsmoke TV Show fans on here?

I listen to Gunsmoke on the old time radio channel. The actor that played Cannon on TV was Matt Dillon on radio but didn't have the right look to play him on TV.

What exactly was Miss Kitty's job? Hmm...

My grandfather and parents loved Gunsmoke. I was too young to really understand it but Festus always cracked me up. I also liked the Rifleman. My wife was a Bonanza fan and she liked Little House on the Prairie.
I wondered about the Miss Kitty thing as well, especially when he was hanging around Matt.

I think the best ones are the black and white versions. The color versions started going down hill a little when Festus's character began its mental decline.
Got a laugh one time when Chester limped with the wrong leg.

Gunsmoke is an awesome show and back in the day when you only had 2 channels almost everyone of us old folks watched it. I get it on my superbox now.
LMAO. Just imgine the funny surprise of some folks today to learn of the once prepostorous reality that every night at 12:00 am! The Star Spangle Banner would let you know "ta da! this is the end of our broadcast day! Good night and come back to join us here again at 05:00am tomorrow morning." Then the blank or snow white screens or that old time channel circle for 5-6 hours.

Last edited:
Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Watched them as a kid and still watch them today. Cheyenne was a good one too with Clint Walker.
I really enjoy those short 1/2 hour epsiodes of Wanted Dead or Alive with the young, just starting out Steve McQueen.

Now for foolishness and some silly western intrigue , two of my younger brothers and I were always in front of the Tv
for the outlandish and correctly named almost comedy western series The Wild Wild West with Bob Conrad. Another one
really labeled (comedy western) was Laredo. Today they still air those, and we often laugh and joke with one another about
stuff like "remember the episode that ...... !" LOL

William Shatner from Star Trek, Dan Blocker and Pernell Roberts from Bonanza both appeared on Gunsmoke too.
Good old Shatner! From serious acting or over acting or funny as heck Shatner! Yes, you can find him all over the screens in literally every genre of Tv or Movies etc.... Just some years back the wife and I would just about wet ourselves laughing at a new sitcom he had made for CBS. I am sure very offensive to some called : Sh*t My Dad Says! I mean flat out killer funny but we knew as soon as we saw the name and the part he played that certain weak minded , thin skinned ,weannies would complain and it would get the axe. It certainly did get canned almost instantly. Barley made one season.

Been watching lots on older shows free on Pluto TV including Gunsmoke. Man I love that show. Great characters and I am really amazed at all the stars that appeared on it over it's 20 year run. Just recently I saw Burt Reynolds, Dennis Weaver, William Shatner, Bob Hale and Tom Skerrit.
I also never knew Festus was such a good looking guy and singer until recently.
Love that show. I can pick up with my antenna Death Valley Days and other great classic tv shows too

l watch Gunsmoke and Tales of Wells Fargo on the INSP network on cable TV. I just Love Dale Robertson's investigator role and his gorgeous horse, Jubilee. One of my biggest surprises has been seeing the character actor (a bad guy on Gunsmoke occasionally) who played Uncle Leo on Seinfeld.

l watch Gunsmoke and Tales of Wells Fargo on the INSP network on cable TV. I just Love Dale Robertson's investigator role and his gorgeous horse, Jubilee. One of my biggest surprises has been seeing the character actor (a bad guy on Gunsmoke occasionally) who played Uncle Leo on Seinfeld.
Old Uncle Leo also tries to kill The Outlaws Josie Wales in that movie. Of course Clint nails him with a hidden pistol. Yeah, its funny when you spot certain actors in bit parts from way back. Wife and I are lifelong fans of the original Tony Randall / Jack Klugman Odd Couple series and Seinfeld's Dad turns up in some of those episodes. Any of you know the English Comedy from the late 70s written by John Cleese and his wife called Fawlty Towers? That show is killer funny. One of my young grand sons just discovered the comedy from England Mr Bean! He was here the other day getting me to watch some Mr Bean episodes with him.

Western series and movies have become my secret escape as I am nearing 60 years old. I don't get to watch much television, but when I do I prefer the Westerns and the mass of commercials that go with them on "free TV", over most anything on cable or network TV. I have no idea why.

Westerns series might be pulling some like me because- in 30 or 60 minutes one can always see good beat evil. I am not sure, but I do enjoy the old western series.

Western series and movies have become my secret escape as I am nearing 60 years old. I don't get to watch much television, but when I do I prefer the Westerns and the mass of commercials that go with them on "free TV", over most anything on cable or network TV. I have no idea why.

Westerns series might be pulling some like me because- in 30 or 60 minutes one can always see good beat evil. I am not sure, but I do enjoy the old western series.
Think you are on to something from long ago. Seems apparent that the original Tv and movie industry folks had decided that the outcome of the stories that they wanted to put out for entertainment value were going to be dominated by "feel good stories and outcomes." Almost all stories in the early tv / radio / communications days , had good triumph over evil outcomes even if at times hidden inside the stories. Those times and people in charge are long gone today. Some in charge of those industries today seem to be driven to produce and put out to the masses the most vile. sick , evil or twisted , almost X rated stories. Lot of which are either fiction or based on true stories right out of the news. I have seen some stuff advertised and pushed pretty heavy that I would be ashamed to view with an exe murderer.

I never cared for Dale Robertson's acting style, but he earned a Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart in WWII

When I was a kid in the early 70's I watched Gunsmoke every Monday night with my grandfather. He loved the old westerns and cowboy stories. My granddad also read the old Louis Lamour paperback westerns. We watched The Rifleman and Bonanza too. It was a different time back then. The good guy always won the fight and got the girl. The bad guy always got run out of town or wound up dead in a gunfight where neither side ever ran out of bullets.

Back