Any Gunsmoke TV Show fans on here?

When I was a kid in the early 70's I watched Gunsmoke every Monday night with my grandfather. He loved the old westerns and cowboy stories. My granddad also read the old Louis Lamour paperback westerns. We watched The Rifleman and Bonanza too. It was a different time back then. The good guy always won the fight and got the girl. The bad guy always got run out of town or wound up dead in a gunfight where neither side ever ran out of bullets.
Lots of families back then (only could afford one Tv). The Tv was the center of the home's entertainment area. I recall how big a deal two things were then. The change over to color broadcast Tv and the remote. Of course everyone had to pony up for a new Tv set. Back then we did what I heard lots of families did on weekends. Grandparents home was open to all on Sunday for all day great big feast she cooked up. Women all hung out and visited and helped clean kitchen as things went along. All the men and boys were either watching football on the Tv or us youngsters were outside playing till we dropped. Main thing happened each Sunday promptly at about 0600pm. All the men/boys - women and girls ended up all jammed into the living room where grandpa made sure we all knew who was in charge of the Tv. We all had to endure some of the 60 minutes news show. Then after that we all as a family (about 20-25 adults and kids) watched the entire new episode of Bonanza together.

When I was about in 2nd grade I think , we had a grand opening of a new , very giant shopping mall. This was a big deal in the area at the time as I do not think there were many of them around. This would have been early 1960s. So at the age of about 5-6? My dad took me to the event as a surprise for me. So , along with a big festival type of event with food and music etc..... carnival rides and all , he then shows me the sign / poster ad for the real reason we are there. Chuck Connors "the rifleman is present and is going to do a presentation (firing of one of his Tv show rifles). I was a little tiny guy then so my dad puts me up on his shoulders and I could see over the crowd. Connors was introduced and gave a nice little friendly talk back and forth with the crowd. He then commensed to fire his gun in the same rapid fire succession the show was known for. Of course they were not live ammo yet it still scared the heck out of me. That is certainly something no one today could even begin to think to attempt. I recall that like it was just yesterday. :)

Last edited:
Old Uncle Leo also tries to kill The Outlaws Josie Wales in that movie. Of course Clint nails him with a hidden pistol. Yeah, its funny when you spot certain actors in bit parts from way back. Wife and I are lifelong fans of the original Tony Randall / Jack Klugman Odd Couple series and Seinfeld's Dad turns up in some of those episodes. Any of you know the English Comedy from the late 70s written by John Cleese and his wife called Fawlty Towers? That show is killer funny. One of my young grand sons just discovered the comedy from England Mr Bean! He was here the other day getting me to watch some Mr Bean episodes with him.
Watched FT and Mr. Bean!

Lots of families back then (only could afford one Tv). The Tv was the center of the home's entertainment area. I recall how big a deal two things were then. The change over to color broadcast Tv and the remote. Of course everyone had to pony up for a new Tv set. Back then we did what I heard lots of families did on weekends. Grandparents home was open to all on Sunday for all day great big feast she cooked up. Women all hung out and visited and helped clean kitchen as things went along. All the men and boys were either watching football on the Tv or us youngsters were outside playing till we dropped. Main thing happened each Sunday promptly at about 0600pm. All the men/boys - women and girls ended up all jammed into the living room where grandpa made sure we all knew who was in charge of the Tv. We all had to endure some of the 60 minutes news show. Then after that we all as a family (about 20-25 adults and kids) watched the entire new episode of Bonanza together.

When I was about in 2nd grade I think , we had a grand opening of a new , very giant shopping mall. This was a big deal in the area at the time as I do not think there were many of them around. This would have been early 1960s. So at the age of about 5-6? My dad took me to the event as a surprise for me. So , along with a big festival type of event with food and music etc..... carnival rides and all , he then shows me the sign / poster ad for the real reason we are there. Chuck Connors "the rifleman is present and is going to do a presentation (firing of one of his Tv show rifles). I was a little tiny guy then so my dad puts me up on his shoulders and I could see over the crowd. Connors was introduced and gave a nice little friendly talk back and forth with the crowd. He then commensed to fire his gun in the same rapid fire succession the show was known for. Of course they were not live ammo yet it still scared the heck out of me. That is certainly something no one today could even begin to think to attempt. I recall that like it was just yesterday. :)
Great memories

Been watching lots on older shows free on Pluto TV including Gunsmoke. Man I love that show. Great characters and I am really amazed at all the stars that appeared on it over it's 20 year run. Just recently I saw Burt Reynolds, Dennis Weaver, William Shatner, Bob Hale and Tom Skerrit.
I also never knew Festus was such a good looking guy and singer until recently.
Gunsmoke was a great show, my dad loved it. Fun fact James Arness and Peter Graves were brothers!

Been watching lots on older shows free on Pluto TV including Gunsmoke. Man I love that show. Great characters and I am really amazed at all the stars that appeared on it over it's 20 year run. Just recently I saw Burt Reynolds, Dennis Weaver, William Shatner, Bob Hale and Tom Skerrit.
I also never knew Festus was such a good looking guy and singer until recently.

Hey Z, my wife is now the opposite, regarding Gunsmoke.. the Gunsmoke will cause a systemic reaction simply because she stayed with her mom for about 3 months while her Dad was in the hospital and about the only TV channels her mom would play were either Hallmark or the Western Channel.. my wife now has a physical rea ction to the show.. I think she has saw every episode.. she was forced to binge watch the whole series over a 3 month period. :)

If you think Gunsmoke the TV show is good, and it is, then do yourself a huge favor and get to know Gunsmoke the radio show.

It preceded the TV version by several years, and ran concurrently with it for years. Different cast, but all superb actors. Any fan of 60’s & ‘70’s TV will recognize the names.

The producers / directors / writers of radio Gunsmoke all participated in the TV version to a lessor or greater degree. Many many of the radio Gunsmoke scripts were used word-for-word in the TV show.

Also available on Apple iTunes.

Z

Back