Any guess on how old this bar& chain oil is ? (Pics)

I was helping a friend move and found this in one of the sheds. He lived there for 15 years and said the bottle was there when he moved in. It’s unopened. I think I’ll use it up. It doesn’t feel very thick in the bottle when shaking it. I’m guessing this is from the 80s. Maybe 90s. The shape of the bottle is odd.

Attachments

• 9E035812-521C-43A5-8ED4-C2D47D3F8D3B.jpeg
    9E035812-521C-43A5-8ED4-C2D47D3F8D3B.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 131
Given the instructions on the bottle to dilute with kerosene at low temps, I'd say it's mineral / non-synthetic and heavy viscosity.
I'll guess 1980s or roughly 40-45 years old.

I agree. I’ve never seen anything modern say anything about diluting it with kerosene. Here is a a pic of some kind of code on the side.

Attachments

• E91C4B3A-099B-425C-B2DC-A4F118550A6B.jpeg
    E91C4B3A-099B-425C-B2DC-A4F118550A6B.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 33
No, stick it on Ebay. Some collector will pay $20 just for bottle. If it's sealed, even more.
I’m not going to mess with eBay and their fees to make a few dollars. I’ll use what’s in it and keep the bottle to refill to take with me whoever I go cut firewood for friends.
How does the code tell you that ?

I’m not going to mess with eBay and their fees to make a few dollars. I’ll use what’s in it and keep the bottle to refill to take with me whoever I go cut firewood for friends.

How does the code tell you that ?
You asked "any guess" on how old it is. That's my guess.

It’s depressing to think about what has happened to Sears. I’m 36 and remember going there with my dad from time to time. We had a couple of those Eager 1 push mowers. His go to store was Hechinger because it was closer, but that’s long gone too. Same thing with K-mart and Ames. My dad used to joke that my mom should just sign her paycheck over to them cause that’s where it all went

So I went ahead and opened it yesterday. The oil is red and fairly thin. Reminded me of atf. It doesn’t feel tacky at all like todays bar and chain oils. There was nothing that has settled out of the oil on the bottom that I could see.

I miss Sears :(
+1

There used to be a giant Sears Hardware store about 15 minutes away from where I grew up. They had EVERYTHING, and I remember going there all the time with my dad as a kid. Luckily there are still a few small Ace hardware stores near me and I try to support them whenever I can.

I agree. I’ve never seen anything modern say anything about diluting it with kerosene. Here is a a pic of some kind of code on the side.

That code dates it before about 1987 when Sears switched from OCR-A to barcodes.

OCR-A was the predecessor to barcodes, many retailers used it in the 80s.

I'd love to find one of those OCR-A readers they used back then, would be very interesting to tear it apart. I can't even find a decent picture of one. EDIT: They were handheld readers and the cashier swiped it across the text. I heard that they didn't always work that well, and that contributed to their replacement with barcode readers.

That code is D/71 which is the merchandise division code of lawn and garden. After MY is the item stock number.
All Sears sold stuff is coded by Division - Source which is the Mfgrs. code number and finally the stock number or the part number.
On lawn/garden equipment model numbers the first 3 digits are source or Mfgr code followed by model number. Some plates also show a stock number.

Back