Any GM L-76 (LS-X variant) V8 owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bitogers,

Just curious if anyone here happens to have a Pontiac G8-GT with the 6.0L L-76 (Active Fuel Management) V8 and what oil they've been running. Or for that matter, I'm curious about hearing from owners of any of the V8s with AFM. My engine is bone stock and I now have 87,000 miles on the clock. I just had the valve lifters changed via the GM 5-year/100k powertrain warranty. Apparently the original valve lifter design was prone to premature wear/collapsing and GM has since updated the design.

Thanks in advance!

Ed B.

Hey fellow G8 GT owner!

I also have an '09 G8 GT

Right now it's got 9 qts CAM2 dexos1 5W-30 with an ACDelco UPF48R filter. I have no issues with this combo, but then my car only has ~3200 miles on it at the moment.

I have 53K and just got it back from the dealer for camshaft and lifter replacement (powertrain warranty).

I've run 5w-30 Mobil-1, but it really seems to like the German Castrol 0w-30.

Mine's a 2009.5, so 8 qts fills it. For the first several fills I was doing the 8.8qts and wondering why I got burning oil smells at traffic lights. It would eventually burn off and settle on 8qts. Now I just do the 8 and it's fine.

I've mainly used ACDelco filters, with the odd Wix thrown in. Longest I go is 5K miles on changes.

I just hope they got all those pieces of lifter out of the oil pump screen. The timing chain tensioner was also fount to be broken (very common) and they replaced it.....You have to wonder if that was floating around in the pan for 40+K miles!

This car starts up totally quiet as I believe my lifters were going for quite some time!

I'm replying mainly to subscribe to this thread.

I've got GC in my non-AFM LS1, and change on time since I put few miles on it. I initially used M1 also, but the engine runs quieter with GC. For a performance engine, it's hard to beat this oil at the price point.

My more-used AFM 5.3 (2013 Silverado) gets Pennzoil Platinum. I haven't established the interval yet, but I'm leaning towards 35% left on the OLM unless oil sampling proves a longer interval is warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back