Any Florida homeowners here? What are you doing about home insurance rates?

You certainly need liability insurance even if you want to self insure the structure.

Insurance it's not a scam. It's all about risk.
Yeah, I agree unless you self insure, meaning a loss of $500,000 wouldnt affect your finances.
Other than that, liability insurance on a home is dirt cheap but not sure if it is as cheap as a rental, then again, might even make more sense if a rental, if a renter gets injured on your property ... well ... something to think about if $500,000 will affect your finances.

I don’t think insurers are that worried about replacing someone’s roof. That’s a drop in the bucket. Replacing someone’s home, and replacing the next guys home x 500..that’s what they’re trying to get away from. Your policy is not just the cost of replacing your house, it’s the cost of replacing your neighborhood. Individual policies simply can’t keep up. Insurers bailing out is the canary in the coal mine. Money always is the the first to jump ship. Do you think insurers listen to homeowners crying the blues? They listen to lawyers and shareholders.

I believe this has also something to do with reinsurance companies not willing to cover insurers in risky areas. They ran their numbers and it doesn't makes sense, so they drop the insurer just like that insurer drops a high risk driver.

Back