Any feeler gauges that don't rust?

Have two different sets of feeler gauges that I bought almost a year ago, and both of them are starting to rust. One set is NAPA service tools brand, and the other is OEM brand. I keep them stored in a drawer inside the house to keep them out of elements much as possible. They have a light coating of oil, but that does not stop the rust. Do I have to keep these dang gauges submerged in oil to stop the rusting? I know they don't cost an arm and leg to buy, but is there any sets out there that don't rust, or can stand the test of time better than what I have now? I need metric and SAE, and I don't like gauges that skip because that's the one I usually need.

Originally Posted by Chris142
That's weird. Mine never rust. I have found ones my dad stashed away back in the 80's and they are fine. Maybe it's due to the 10w40 that's coating them?
Cheaper alloy = less corrosion resistance. Living in the desert illegally riding the side by side also helps.

BigD1

I keep a light coating of Remington Rem oil on mine, but that's not good enough it seems.

Thanks for mentioning this....I bought a set a few years ago and kept them in the basement. I checked them after reading this post and there starting to rust already. I'm coating them with Olive Oil as I speak.

JHZR2

Staff member
I let the oil from valve adjustments coat mine and they stay OK. The ones that didnt get oil do rust...

Way back in the day I had a set of brass feeler gauges that didn't rust. They were used setting the reluctor gap on Mopar electronic ignition. A ferrous metal gauge was not recommended as it could mess with the ignition somehow.