Any feedback for Acura TSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, for now TSX
smile.gif

I know there's a lot of support for the Acura offerings, but when choosing something from the premium linup, I'd rather opt for a 6 cyl engine. Far less stress on the engine than with the 4 cyl.

This is precisely why we picked up the is350 (RWD and 3.5 v6 that won Ward's best engine awards 4 consecutive years in a row). Power is direct and it feels like a luxury car, but with sporting aspirations. We chose it over a comparable BMW for reliability and, well to be honest we already have one of those. I'm especially amazed at it's size! it's only a tad bit longer than the 07 Focus sedan it replaced 180inches for the Lex and 175 for the Focus.

Only thing I don't care for is the price of premium fuel!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: dishdude
How far over 100k are they? If not by much and car is clean it sounds like a solid deal at around $5k.

One has ~130k and I believe other one has ~170k.

I'd consider the one with 130k if it was pristine. 170k no way.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
6-cyl TSX are extremely rare. I don't think you will be able to find them on used market.

There are 40 on CarGurus nationwide. The V6 was only available on the 2nd gen TSXs.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I've owned three other model Acuras, all with very good reliability. I'd want to know when the timing belt was changed last.

Never! Timing chain.
laugh.gif

Unless it has been driven low on oil, then it will require timing chain replacement. Very $$$$$$$. 14 hours labour to do the complete job.

They are hit and miss with regard to burning oil.

OP, listen for timing chain rattle when starting the motor cold. That is the first sign the chain requires replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I've owned three other model Acuras, all with very good reliability. I'd want to know when the timing belt was changed last.

Never! Timing chain.
laugh.gif

Unless it has been driven low on oil, then it will require timing chain replacement. Very $$$$$$$. 14 hours labour to do the complete job.

They are hit and miss with regard to burning oil.

OP, listen for timing chain rattle when starting the motor cold. That is the first sign the chain requires replacement.

Guessing that's 14 hours book time. What can an experienced tech do it in?

Doesn't matter. It's 14 hours labor.

What can you do it in?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

What can you do it in?

Exactly why I was asking. I botched a chain tensioner replacement in mine a few months ago and it jumped time. I pulled the chain cover to retime it (all the work necessary for a chain replacement) and did it in well under 10 hours. So, was wondering what someone with experience could do it in. It was an honest question, based on my own curiosity and experience...

Last edited:
OP, I just traded in my 04 TSX and owned it since 09. Very reliable, and not much in the way of issues. Keep in mind I had the first year too, which was plagued with potential AC failures. The double wishbone suspension was setup really well from the factory, but the ride was on the firmer side. Don't fear the K24 either as it is bulletproof as was the transmission (5AT).

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
OP, I just traded in my 04 TSX and owned it since 09. Very reliable, and not much in the way of issues. Keep in mind I had the first year too, which was plagued with potential AC failures. The double wishbone suspension was setup really well from the factory, but the ride was on the firmer side. Don't fear the K24 either as it is bulletproof as was the transmission (5AT).

Wish you would have sold it to me, instead of trading it in.
laugh.gif

I am looking for 2006 or above for now and hunt continues...
thumbsup2.gif

I had a '12 TSX. Even though I have a "better" car now, that TSX was my favorite. The TSX was designed for Europe and built in Japan and while there is no difference in powertrain to an American-made Acura, the ride, handling, and especially quality of the interior are a step up from the other things the brand offered at the same time.

If you're looking for a 1G, 2006+ is the right call. That was the year for the MMC where, not only did they tweak the appearance, they made notable adjustments to the chassis/suspension.

TSX and RSX - that's peak Acura right there, and I'd happily daily either.

Negative. The 94-01 Integra was peak Acura. The RSX had an unreliable manual transmission and one of the worst rear suspensions ever designed by Honda. 06-08 TSXs were built quite well, though.

I personally would get a domestic if I was looking for a dependable daily driver car with over 100,000 miles. I drive a 4.6 Mustang; parts are dirt cheap and any barnyard mechanic can work on it. No 14 hour timing chain jobs.

What can you do it in?

Exactly. If a good mechanic can do the job in less time good for him. I know the customer doesn't want to hear about problems the mechanic ran into for those jobs that took him more than the book time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back